DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 1999 V10 Ram 4x4, and was looking for a 2002 D-70 (Factory disc brakes) rear axle to put under my truck, when the thought occured to me, I am planning on swapping in a locker and 4.56 gears anyway, why not just use a PW axle? I have done something similar on my 98 TJ, I'm running Rubicon 44s front and rear in that. My questions are:

How has the durablity of the rear axle been, anyone have any issues with it, or has it been a pretty durable piece?

Is it as strong as the D-70? I know they have pretty similar size ring gears etc...

What is the PW axle width ( wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange)?

Anything else I should consider with this swap?

Thanks in advance Murf

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Other than a pure 1ton diesel rear axle @ 11.5", The PW has the 10.5" rear with the 4.56 and locker. I don't think you'd have any durability issues. They are designed for abuse. If you get a chance to get up close to one just take a look. I would say much improved over the D-70.

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
Mopar Performance catalog has the front and rear PW axles listed in it! Didn't see a price tho, and didn't see anything about the control module for the axles. I know Mopar has one for the Rubi axles.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Here is a bonus---the PW axels f & r take less fluid then a regular 3/4 HD, when I inquired why, the dealer did'nt know and called Dodge. They said because it has the axle shafts from the one ton and are 1.5something " in dia.. vs the 1.25 of the standard 3/4 HD. I don't know if its fact or BS, but I hope its true.

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
Axle shafts are from the 11.5" rear ends. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.