DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· 1986w250
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just joined the forum here after reading for about a year now. love the info, keep it up. alright, for the question, i have an 1986 w250 360/4-speed i am rebuilding/driving. i know scary! i am looking for a complete rear axle assembly, new or used, with either 4.10 or 4.56 ratio. as you know this is an eight-lug pattern and all the junk yards around here have either 5 lug, or they are worn out. this is a 60 diff. i am getting ready to lift 6" and get 35's so i plan to swap axles when doing so. also, comments on suggested gear ratio for those of you who have similar setups would be helpful. thanks ahead. -mike :dtrocks:

· Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,132 Posts
I got one, but I ain't parting w/ it :D 4.56 is a bit steep unless you're running 38's or bigger. I'd go w/ 4.10's, that's what mine is and I'm gonna run 35's.

BTW, what are you gonna do w/ the front?

· Registered
363 Posts
What ratio do you have currently? Can you have the axles on your truck rebuilt, regeared and locker or anti-slip added for whatever you want?

· 1986w250
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my axles, bearings, everything inside is done. i rebuilt it once already, but the truck had pulled hi-lifts and dozers for 140,000 miles. i'm just ready to replace. i currently have 4.78's that were put in. looking to change to 4.10 as speed dragon was saying. i figure that's probably the gear it'll have when i find one being the common gear in the truck, if it's too fast i'll change the ring/pinion. nothing new there! advise to everyone out there, if you are experienced in diff. work, do not tell your 4-wheelin buddies, you WILL stay busy! lol!

· Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,132 Posts
Honestly, if I were you I'd just buy a ring and pinion set and have a good shop install it for you. Probably cost the same or less.

BTW, you do know you'll have to change the front to match right?

· 1986w250
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, i'm aware i'll have to swap the front. my only reasoning for replacing is this is my daily driver, and the bearings, axle shafts, the whole nine yards is trashed. if i just replace the ring and pinion, then i still have 1/4" lateral play in the axle shafts. the front i don't mind just swapping the gears, but i need a fesh, or at least newer start for the rear.

· Registered
563 Posts
Have you priced a used Dana? I am unsure what they sell for so I may be wrong on this, I would do like speed said and rebuild it if the housing isn't bent, then you would have a almost a new axle assembly. If you bought a used rear then most likely it would have been used for heavy towing as was yours. Anyway I think the money is better spent rebuilding your old unit just my two cents though. I have a link listed for a rebuild kit that replaces everything but the gears.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dana...-New-Item_W0QQitemZ270170011785QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.accuautoparts.com/axledetails.jsp?parts_id=ACC:D60-410

· 1986w250
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
most junkyard are selling used rear end (80-100k) miles for about 400, it's just the 200 dollar shipping that's killing me! and i have to have the truck ready to drive to work when it comes time since this is my only vehicle. i just question spending the money involved to replace both axle shafts, axle bearings, ring and pinion, pinion bearings, axle seals, and pinion seals due to the price of everything. i priced the pinion bearings at a local parts store to find a price tag of nearly $60 a piece! that's a whole lot of money to put into an axle for bearings. i'm almost considering a 14-bolt corporate rearend and welding new spring perches on it. what do you guys think?

· Registered
563 Posts
The kit in the link that I posted was a complete rebuild kit less the gears for $87. I also posted a link for gears thats another $160. Thats $247 less shipping. I don't see the reason why you would want to replace the axles they aren't a consumable part. I would hate to buy a 100k rear for $400 and still have a wore axle. When you could spend $250 less labor and have a fresh axle assembly.

· 1986w250
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the axles thereself are spun, although i'm liking these prices you've got. for that type of price it's sounding more probable. sorry, my comp. wouldn't open those links.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.