·
Registered
14 Posts
Rear axle fluid capacity

Straight from the FSM.......

8 1/4" - 70 oz (2.07L)
9 1/4" - 72 oz (2.13L)

of 75W-140 Mopar Synthetic Gear Lube.

FYI... I just changed mine 2 weeks ago. There is a sticker wrapped around the left side axle tube that says which size differential you have. Mine happens to be 8 1/4". Hope this info helps.

Bill
Frederick, MD

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to find someone that changed theirs on their own.. i was wondering how hard it is and if the truck needs to be lifted or can it be done while sitting on the ground.. also you said mopar fluid.. can other synthetic oils be used? about how long did it take? thanks

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i have the 9 1/4 in my HEMI Limited 3.92 Durango...I went w/ Royal Purple...
see my signature....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Differential fluid change

Durangoguy123:

I did mine in my driveway. I just put the Durango up on jackstands all the way around and had plenty of room to work. The front differential cover is a little tight for clearance between the cover and the crossmember but there's still plenty of room. No problems at all with clearance in the rear.

Also, make sure you clean out the differential housings real well by spraying them out with some aerosol brake parts cleaner. I used 3 cans to do front and rear. Also don't forget to clean the magnet located in the bottom of the rear differential housing.

Regarding the differential fluid, as Biged6464 indicated, I'm pretty sure any brand of the proper fluid is acceptable. And probably alot cheaper too. I paid like $18.00 per quart for the Mopar 75W-140 at my local Five*****. I was stunned it was that expensive.

Good luck with your project!

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.