DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, i am looking to buy a flowmaster 40 series exaust with new pipes, leading to the back with duals 3"wide. so the other day i went to my local exaust shop where my dad got his exaust and he priced me 455$ for the exaust all new pipes and 3" wide dual chrome tips, and installed!! is this odd it seemed a bit pricey to me i was thinking more along the line of 300$ so thanks in advance everyone for your comments. what did you all get on your truck and how much did it run u?

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
If you're going with true duals, 3" is waaaay too much pipe. The optimum size for duals on a 4.7 (found by a good number of DT members) is 2.25."

I can't really help in the price department (other than saying $400 isn't all that much when you're going with a pipe as large as 3"). I simply had my exhaust shop hack off the stock trash can and weld in a Flow40 with dumped dual turndowns.

·
Spending
1,786 Posts
thats what i see most ppl doing here durango, cutting the pipes and welding (b/c the pipes for the D are already nice on airflow.) The super 40 is 80$ and installation is about 30-60 depending on where u go.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts

Attachments

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i will probably end up getting a flowmaster 40 with the same pipes but adding 1 pipe from muffler to back with 2 chrome 2.25" duals, so wat should that cost me around??

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
Tru duals will not help your D that much. It would take too much backpressure off and cause it not to run properly.

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jplinville said:
Tru duals will not help your D that much. It would take too much backpressure off and cause it not to run properly.
tru duals... i dont have that much money!!! :thatfunny i am just getting the flowmaster 40 with dual outlets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, just my 2 cents worth here...I had a 70 series put on my '05 Ram w/ the 4.7. I knew that muffler was expensive ($120 or more) but the guy at the local exhaust shop installed mine for $119 total. I didn't change out any pipe; just had the old muffler cut off and the new one welded in its place. I also kept it a single pipe and angled out past the rear tire with a nice 4" wide tip (10" long) from Hooker. Now the reason I kept it single is because I've read in a few places that if you dual it out from the muffler only (i.e. not running true duals) then the exhaust pulses compete with each other and you can actually lose a little bit of power.

Anyway, the exhaust sounds great at WOT, but nice and stealthy at idle and light cruising- no interior resonance. Just some food for thought...

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey guys i did some more pricing yester day for my exaust, this one place said for the flowmaster 40, dual outlet so i will need a new pipe going to the back and 2.25 chrome tips installed he said it would cost 250-290.

i went to another guy and asked the same thing and he said i had to take my spare tire down to do it?? and he said 325 for the same thing as above so i am gonna go to the first one. he said he could do it with out taking the spare down.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Well it's a Ram, not a D, but I have dual rear exit, and I didn't touch my spare.
I wouldn't go over 2.25" pipes on the 4.7L. Here's a chart that gives you a good idea of what to use, based on engine size, and HP........
click to make it big.

I have 2.25" dual on mine, with 3" chrome tips. Sounds good, and looks good. As for the single or dual pipes, SleeperRam is partly right. If you have the appropriate size pipe, you won't lose power with the dual outlet muffler, but you can GAIN MORE with a single outlet. So to reword it, a correct sized single pipe, will give you greater gains than correct sized dual pipes. It's not a huge difference, but if you're trying to squeeze out every bit of power you can, the single outlet muffler is the one you want. Either way you go, you'll benifit from losing the stock exhaust as long as you don't go to big.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Oh, I forgot. I installed my own, so it only cost the price of the exhaust. I don't remember how much it was, but I got it at Summit Racing out of their clearance section. I think even on clearance, it was still $150, or something like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.