Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE:rim backspacing

I have a 98 1500 with 3"pa body lift and 3"suspension, I want to change to 15" wheel and run 35's.My question is what backspacing do I need.I perfer the tire to be in as close as possible with no rub on the street lock to lock.
Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one knows?

·
Registered
105 Posts
86turned89 said:
I have a 98 1500 with 3"pa body lift and 3"suspension, I want to change to 15" wheel and run 35's.My question is what backspacing do I need.I perfer the tire to be in as close as possible with no rub on the street lock to lock.
Thanks.
The 15" wheels that I went with have a 3.75" backspacing. I'm not sure if that is exactly what you need, but that is the only backspacing that was available for the Dodge bolt pattern which is 5 on 5.5

To my dismay, the tires stick out about 2" past the fenders. It doesn't look bad, but I would have liked to keep them closer in. I don't have any problems with rubbing though, even offroad. I must say, they do look pretty sweet now that I put some fender flares on it. I'll post some pics with the flares once I get the chance. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
98 Posts
??? I actually like my tires to stick out. On my 96 they are about 3" out. Does back spacing help not rub?? And how is it measured? From where it bolts up to outside of rim is 6" on myne. Any way just curious.(not trying to change subject)

·
Registered
105 Posts
4wdRam said:
??? I actually like my tires to stick out. On my 96 they are about 3" out. Does back spacing help not rub?? And how is it measured? From where it bolts up to outside of rim is 6" on myne. Any way just curious.(not trying to change subject)
Yes, in a way the back spacing will keep your tires from rubbing. On our trucks we need less backspacing than the factory wheels have in order to run the bigger tires and keep them from rubbing on the track arms that make up the 4 link suspension. The wheel wells are plenty large enough to accommodate 35" tires so you don't have to worry about any rubbing there, just on the suspension components.

I'm not positive where the backspacing is measured from, but I think it's from the center of the wheel to the inner edge of the rim.

If you want to see how mine looks before the new rims and after, just take a look at my gallery. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sakman your truck looks really good.Is that an 8 or 10" rim? Also I saw pics in your gallery with your trucks lifted with smaller tires, just curious as to what size they were, Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.