DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know anything about these re-indexed torsion bar keys. supposed to bee able to get approx 3" of lift out of them. wondering if anyone has used these and mabye where to find a set. any help would be great.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
yeas you can get that much lift with torsion keys, but you will have difficulty having enough camber adjustment to have your tires run flat, and you will not have much droop left in your supension. 3" lift on the CV joints will likely shorten life noticably.

I advise cranking the torsion bars to the max and living with 2" lift. If you really want more lift, a lift kit (rancho, Tough Country) would be advisable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Torsion Lift

So I put a larger front bumper on from Go Rhino which I had some custom work done to mount a winch on. Now my front end sags even more than before. I am considering getting some torsion lift kit from ebay or somewhere to raise the front end 2" or so just to get it back to stock or better, nothing more than that. Is it worth buying the new keys or just torque the stock bars to raise the front end some. Also, how the hell do you do that. Do you have to lift the front to get the weight off and then do the work. I have put lift kits on jeeps and stuff before, so I am somewhat mechanically able to do this, but just have never messed around with torsion bars. Is this a good idea also, will it were them out quicker. Any help would be cool, thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I hope this helps!
It really would be a lot easier to crank them with the Ram lifted as the weight of the truck is not on the torsion bars making it harder to crank them up.
But the good news is you don't need to put the truck on jack stands just lift the front of the truck with a floor type jack from the center of the frame under the motor, use a 2x4 or 4x4 about 2 foot long, along the frame to lift both sides at the same time and crank the torsions. Make sure you measure before you crank to get exact lift on each side.
Here is what I did and it only took once:
Measured from center of wheel to the ground on both sides taking away any chance the ground wasnt level.
Measured from the highest point of the wheel well to the ground as well.
Lifted the truck placing floor jack and 4x4 on crossmember of frame.
Crawled under truck with a marker and marked bolts and frame for cross reference to how many times I had turned bolt head of torsion bar.
Grab a wrench and socket I believe it is metric and I wanna say it was an 18 but dont take my word on it it has been a while hahaha.
Anyway cranked them in 5 complete turns each, some posts have said to turn the drivers side in a 1/2 turn more to compensate for the driver but I dont agree with that and didnt do it as if the driver isn't in the truck the driver side would be higher.
Let the truck down and remeasured and I was on the money on each side I think I remember it giving me a 1 1/2 inch lift.
Total time 1/2 hour max.
These directions were given to me by mccoy1111, so you have him to thank for them!

·
Registered
139 Posts
i have been doing ALOT of research on this subject. and if it seems like your trying to avoid spending money to get the front end lifted, your gonna want to just crank the bars. I have no clue or experience with the torsion re indexed keys. I, as well, have seen them on Ebay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.