DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MYTYT
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I pulled the trigger. Got the money from the bank to get the truck fixed. Im tired of it being deadlined & just sitting in the driveway. Ordered gears for the truck & im taking it to the shop for a tranny rebuild & gear swap in the AM. :cool:

Im going from 3:55's to 4:56's. Do the 46RE's require a reflash of the CPU for a gear swap? I cant remember if they do or not.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
no. just the speedo is off. pcm will never know.

·
MYTYT
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the speedo worked off the tone ring in the rear end? Or is that for the ABS & the other things of that nature?

I can live with the speedo being off. I guess I could have the tranny man change the gear out while he has it apart.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
What spun360 said ... :)

·
MYTYT
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question, Does anyone know what # tooth gear I need for the 4:56's?

I looked at PATC's website & couldnt find anything.

Can a SCT from Hemifeaver fix the speedo or do you HAVE to change the gear? I plan on ordering a SCT soon.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Nope; I'd find used or cheap programmer for that ... :)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
98-up reads the speedo off the tone ring in the rear diff....gear change, changes nothing as your not changing the number of teeth on the tone ring the sensor reads in the rear diff....97-down reads off the speedo gear on the side of the trans....gear change on these you will need to change the speedo gear to correct it(sport truck section on site)....tire height change will effect all speedo's no matter what the year

·
Registered
211 Posts
98-up reads the speedo off the tone ring in the rear diff....gear change, changes nothing as your not changing the number of teeth on the tone ring the sensor reads in the rear diff....97-down reads off the speedo gear on the side of the trans....gear change on these you will need to change the speedo gear to correct it(sport truck section on site)....tire height change will effect all speedo's no matter what the year
So if he were to change tire size.... he would need to change the speedo gear or reprogram the PCM!?!?

·
MYTYT
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I was thinking the speedo worked off the tone ring in the rear end. Sweet.

I can adjust the speedo with my Superchips, so I got that part covered. :cool:

Im looking forward to my 4:56 sweetness.

·
Registered
543 Posts
ok like stated earlier 01 trucks run off the tone ring and are not affected by gear swap, tire size is the only thing that will change speedo.

SCT does not have the support to adjust for tire sizes but your local dealer can fix your speedo with a their handheld DRB

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
so what did you order for the front ? im looking to maybe get 4.56 too but im niot really sure on what to get all together ?

·
MYTYT
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the thick gears for the front & im leaving it open. I got full rebuild kits for the front & rear, & a LSD rebuild kit for the rear.

I plan on going to 3/4 ton axles one of these days, so I didnt go all out with lockers this time around. The factory LSD in the rear has always worked great for me so I just having it freshend up with new clutches, :)

I ordered everything from Randy's. They were very pleasent to deal with over the phone & knew exactly what I needed. I highly reccomend them!

·
DOGOS RULE!
152 Posts
Randy's?

·
MYTYT
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, if everything goes according to plan, I should be getting my truck back in the AM.

The shop has had it for 2 weeks now. Man are they slow. I told the guy to take his time & do it right, but DANG. 2 WEEKS?!

New tranny & 4:56's :rck:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey man let us know how u like the 4.56's ive been wanting to put them in my truck for about a year and havn;e got around to it, did u go with a locker or limited slip in the rear??

·
MYTYT
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I dont have the truck back. Another delay. Randy's sent the wrong LS rebuild kit. The correct parts were overnighted to the shop & arrived yesterday eve. Should have it back Monday or Tuesday.

The tranny is back in & the front is set up, just waiting on the rear.

HOPEULIKIT GOAT, im just rebuilding the factory LS in the rear & leaving the front open. One of these days im going to 3/4 tons, so I dont want to do lockers on the 1/2 tons.

lastrights, everything cost me right at $700 bucks. That's gears, full rebuild kits & the LS rebuild kit & shipping. I didnt see any combo deals, but if you call them up they might be able to hook you up with somthing. Pretty good outfit to work with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.