Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
AKA: Justin
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I want to know if anyone has sucessfully installed a RB1 nav. unit in an 01 D*? by sucessfully I mean fully working gps, steering wheel controls,....

I did a search and didn't find a positve answer

Thanks
Justin

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
From what I researched, the bus if different in the '01 from '02 and '03. So the RB1 in a '01 can't get a reading from the speed sensor which it needs to provide accurate gps guidance. The steering wheel function and stereo will all work fine...just not gps.
How bad the gps is without the speed sensor input was not clear. I'm thinking the real issue would be when the gps signal is blocked. The system would not be able to display your position. I did see where one member claimed to have gotten the RB1 to work in his '01 using a Jeep ecu out of a '99 GC. But when I sent him a message on how to do this he didn't provide any real clues.
If one knew what the connector inputs are to the RB1 I would'nt think it too hard to run a couple of jumpers to it from the speed sensor.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
UPDATE; I installed the RB1 into my 2001 using adapter P/N 82207541 and it works perfectly. It is tracking fine, and giving accurate information. Steering wheel controls all work, so unless my 2001 is a fluke, I can't see why it won't work fine in any other 2001 D.
BTW, I think the radio, or quality of sound is better than the oem infinity unit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
umm... call me a newbie but what is RB1?

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hercules: Thanks For the info... I have yet to dive into the project but hope to soon! Ya have any pix?

macfights: the RB1 is one of the GPS Nav. Units. the better one in my opinion, I dont Like the RB4

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
got any pics of it installed?

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for the info and pix Hercules!!!

Looking forward to doing this

·
Registered
558 Posts
where could i get one of these??? im very interested... i know this is old but its worth a shot. o and what other versions are there?

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Search on ebay... It Will be your best bet. Just search for RB1. the other version is the RB4. you can also search for it on ebay.

you can also check out this site: http://www.wjjeeps.com/nav.htm This is a Jeep site but the systems are the same. You can get a system from a jeep, the start up screen will change to dodge when you plug it in to your D*. (or at least from what I have been told)

hope this helps

·
Registered
558 Posts
wow thanks.... sounds like fun..

·
Registered
15 Posts
RB1's

Hi guys, I have had allot of emails on the installation on the Ram 01 of the RB1.

As for the D 01 which uses PCI bus, installs are easy just plug and play!!

As for Ram 01 and older, it uses CCD bus, so you have to use a pcm from a unit that has PCI bus, just use the vehicle speed output from your ABS unit into new pcm and then use the new pcm PCI line to RB1 unit, of course you still have wire up the new pcm with a couple of grounds and power leads. I used a Jeep 99 controller because it was small and easy to hide. I will post later a full process with pic's. I have been very busy lately sorry if I have not answered your emails. Working now on a REC for a 2005 D! :rck:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Sunless, thanks for getting back on this subject. I know that a lot of people are interested in this fix.

If I understand you correctly; you are NOT replacing your functional, in vehicle, CCD bus PCM. You are wiring an additional PCI bus PCM with power and ground. Then you are splicing the vehicle speed output signal from your ABS unit into this PCI bus PCM. Then the Speed control output of the PCI bus PCM goes into the RB1. Is the RB1 also looking for some kind of reverse sensor signal?

Looking forward to any info on the process and pic's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi uujuu, you are right only up to where you where adding the vehicle speed from the abs unit to the new pcm. the line that you use to go to the the RB1 is the "PCI" line which has all the converted info in it. No reverse sensor signal is needed. I will have pic's and more tomorrow.

Sunless :rck:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.