DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2019 (too soon to have worn seat hinge bushings), I discovered the thumping rattle in the rear was caused by the top mounts of the shocks being too large a diameter. This left next to no clearance between the top of the shock mount and the body! The sound it made just rolling down the street was unbearable! My mechanic and I traced to to the shocks when we put it up on the lift. To simulate bumps, I started doing pullups on the rear frame near the stabilizer bar. My mechanic could hear the slight popping noise that was transmitted though the rear cargo area as a "thumping rattle". When he wrapped his hand around the Chrysler OEM factory shocks, he told me that there is an unnatural popping vibration. He noticed the top shock mount was damn near touching the body. We assumed that the bushing had some compression under load as the vehicle slightly bounced which was causing the tapping on the bottom of the body or floorboard. We removed both shocks, and as I backed it down the ramp, the back end was bouncing like crazy as the shocks were now off. There wasn't a peep. The noise was gone. We ordered some mid grade Monroe shocks. When the parts company dropped them off, we observed that the diameter of the top mount was way, way smaller than the diameter of the OEM shock absorber!! After installation, I drove away and the quiet ride home was so enjoyable. Who would have ever thought that Chrysler/Dodge could screw up so badly? Hell. Dodge and Carmax couldn't find the noise after two appointments each! Carmax wanted to remove the evaporator case this upcoming Tuesday as they said the noise was coming from there. Before heading to my mechanic for an oil change and another attempt to find the source of the sound, I crawled into the back and rocked the van. Now, the sound was coming from the other side as well. Both shock mounts at the rear, rubbing the body above explained it all! Thank you L. Strom as I will be keeping a close watch on those seat hinge bushings!!! Needless to say, I called Dodge and Carmax to tell them to be on the lookout for this problem. By the way, l also have a vibration in the seat at 65 mph. The wheel balance took care of the vibration at the steering wheel and the rotors are fine. I believe like L Strom, I will be replacing one of the half shaft front axles. It is a shame to have to do all this on a 2019 with 36, 000 miles!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a random thumping or bumping noise coming from the rear suspension - sounds like the left side on by 2019 GT that I recently purchased with 39k miles. I only hear it at lower speeds (under 40 MPH) even on smooth roads. I don't have any "rattle" sound though. Was your issue at all speeds, or similar to what I described. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only heard it at low speeds. But, just barely rolling down my street after leaving my driveway, the noise would drive me nuts. I am certainly glad that I discovered what the problem was because it was really irritating. Who would have known that just replacing the shock absorbers with a smaller Mount at the top would eliminate all of the noise I've been hearing for the last six months?

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 2019 (too soon to have worn seat hinge bushings), I discovered the thumping rattle in the rear was caused by the top mounts of the shocks being too large a diameter. This left next to no clearance between the top of the shock mount and the body! The sound it made just rolling down the street was unbearable! My mechanic and I traced to to the shocks when we put it up on the lift. To simulate bumps, I started doing pullups on the rear frame near the stabilizer bar. My mechanic could hear the slight popping noise that was transmitted though the rear cargo area as a "thumping rattle". When he wrapped his hand around the Chrysler OEM factory shocks, he told me that there is an unnatural popping vibration. He noticed the top shock mount was damn near touching the body. We assumed that the bushing had some compression under load as the vehicle slightly bounced which was causing the tapping on the bottom of the body or floorboard. We removed both shocks, and as I backed it down the ramp, the back end was bouncing like crazy as the shocks were now off. There wasn't a peep. The noise was gone. We ordered some mid grade Monroe shocks. When the parts company dropped them off, we observed that the diameter of the top mount was way, way smaller than the diameter of the OEM shock absorber!! After installation, I drove away and the quiet ride home was so enjoyable. Who would have ever thought that Chrysler/Dodge could screw up so badly? Hell. Dodge and Carmax couldn't find the noise after two appointments each! Carmax wanted to remove the evaporator case this upcoming Tuesday as they said the noise was coming from there. Before heading to my mechanic for an oil change and another attempt to find the source of the sound, I crawled into the back and rocked the van. Now, the sound was coming from the other side as well. Both shock mounts at the rear, rubbing the body above explained it all! Thank you L. Strom as I will be keeping a close watch on those seat hinge bushings!!! Needless to say, I called Dodge and Carmax to tell them to be on the lookout for this problem. By the way, l also have a vibration in the seat at 65 mph. The wheel balance took care of the vibration at the steering wheel and the rotors are fine. I believe like L Strom, I will be replacing one of the half shaft front axles. It is a shame to have to do all this on a 2019 with 36, 000 miles!!!
Thanks so much for posting this! 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT 36,900 miles. That bumping noise was driving me crazy. Replaced the rear shocks with the Monroe’s and completely silent. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my '19 Grand Caravan in to the dealer about 1 yr ago at probably 13K miles. I could hear a rumbling noise coming from the rear when I drove slowly over small bumps. Harder to hear when I drove fast over bumps. Long story short, the dealer replaced both shocks under warranty and the noise pretty much went away. Now, a year later, I am hearing the same thing. One wonders how a car company in this day and age can find it difficult to spec shocks for a vehicle that won't make noise. Not sure if the tops of the shocks are hitting the body as Stumaster relates, or if it is something else. Anyways, I'll likely go the Monroe route too as I don't want to deal with it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Stumaster
I test drove 2 different 2019 Grand Caravans and both had the same sound you described. They both had to replace the rear shocks. I purchased one of the vehicles after the shocks were replaced by the dealer and the noise was gone. Now after 3 days of driving the noise is back. Now it almost sounds like it’s coming from the front. Is it possible front shocks now or rear shocks still you think?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Stumaster
I test drove 2 different 2019 Grand Caravans and both had the same sound you described. They both had to replace the rear shocks. I purchased one of the vehicles after the shocks were replaced by the dealer and the noise was gone. Now after 3 days of driving the noise is back. Now it almost sounds like it’s coming from the front. Is it possible front shocks now or rear shocks still you think?
Check the sway bar bushings if they're bad it will cause rattling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took back to Dodge dealer and they replaced shocks again and rear end assembly. Told me any noise remaining is known for the vehicle. Still hear rattle after driving home from dealer. At a loss what to do. Shocks replaced with factory shocks not sure if I should take to shop that sells Monroe shocks and have them replace and see if that helps? Buy new tires to see if smoother ride helps? No clue

·
Registered
15 Posts
Took back to Dodge dealer and they replaced shocks again and rear end assembly. Told me any noise remaining is known for the vehicle. Still hear rattle after driving home from dealer. At a loss what to do. Shocks replaced with factory shocks not sure if I should take to shop that sells Monroe shocks and have them replace and see if that helps? Buy new tires to see if smoother ride helps? No clue
Hopefully the dealer check the front end too sometimes rattlings sound travels making hard to pinpoint. You could try shaking the van rocking by kneeling on the rear bumper and hopping up and down. When my rear shock bushing were gone you could clear hear a clunking noise by simply doing just that. I found that KYB is far superior product than Munroe and they come with a lifetime warranty. Your best bet might be to go to a good reputable shop someone you can trust and have them do an inspection underneath for anything that could cause any rattling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would have thought an actual Dodge dealer service department would be most reputable. What does KYB stand for? Shock bushing is different from the shocks themselves?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would have thought an actual Dodge dealer service department would be most reputable. What does KYB stand for? Shock bushing is different from the shocks themselves?
Dealers being reputable depends there's some that are Ok while others can be dishonest is this warranty work.

The bushings that I was referring to was stabilizer bar bushings they're inexpensive and when worn out can cause rattling usually when lifted on a hoist the technician will use a big prybar and wiggle the sway bar to see if there's any excessive play that could cause rattling.

Shocks comes complete with bushings.

KYB is a strut and shock manufacturer their Excel-G line is designed to replicate original handling and control capabilities.I got KYB on my van had to replaced the rear due to worn out shock bushings and had to replace my front struts due to one was leaking now my whole suspension is KYB my van rides better than went it was new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks so much for all the information you have provided. It has been so helpful. I looked up sway bar bushings and have a better understanding of what they are and the troubles with them. I am scheduled to take van back to dealer tomorrow and asked them to check front end and sway bar/bushings. Also, I located a mechanic that I will take van to if dealer tries to tell me the noise is “normal” for this vehicle. That’s what they are trying to convince me off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had my '19 Grand Caravan in to the dealer about 1 yr ago at probably 13K miles. I could hear a rumbling noise coming from the rear when I drove slowly over small bumps. Harder to hear when I drove fast over bumps. Long story short, the dealer replaced both shocks under warranty and the noise pretty much went away. Now, a year later, I am hearing the same thing. One wonders how a car company in this day and age can find it difficult to spec shocks for a vehicle that won't make noise. Not sure if the tops of the shocks are hitting the body as Stumaster relates, or if it is something else. Anyways, I'll likely go the Monroe route too as I don't want to deal with it again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I have a rattling sound as well. Dealer replaced both rear shocks, but the sound seems to come from both sliding door. On a smooth road, the sound practically disappears, but on bumpy roads, seems like it is just behind the front seats. Any ideas? thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took advice from other posts on this forum and requested dealer to check front sway bar and bushings. Taking van in Monday to have bushings replaced

1 - 15 of 15 Posts