DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Ram 2500, 5.9 360 with 148k miles. Stock motor.
The problem is a slight, very random, miss. The scenario is I'll be driving or idling, and the truck will miss. Just once. Almost like the truck just quits. It happens so fast and unexpected I've never noticed if the gauges fall or anything. It happened once at night with I was sitting in a parking lot and lights dimmed for a half a second, and then right back to normal. There is no other issues with the truck, idles strong, starts fine and drives great. The CEL is on, but the only codes are ones for o2 sensors. It is straight piped and has been for four years. I just checked the codes and there is also a code P0128, which is ECT sensor high. I haven't changed the sensor yet. The miss happens so infrequently I can't give an accurate timeframe it happens. It was doing once a day for a week or so, and then it stopped for several weeks. Now it'll do it once, go several days or longer, then miss once, then go a day and miss, then go a few days before doing it again, ect.. I just changed the plugs and wires in March. The cap/rotor and igntion coil was changed about a year ago.

Could the ECT sensor be causing this? Any help would be great, thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
take a look under your hood at night and mist the wires with some spray to see if you can see any spark jump.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Have you checked your plenum gasket? Mine did the same thing but a lot more. It would back fire through the intake under hard throttle. It could be the crank or cam sensor starting to go. Had that happen also(no code).

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
ect sensor?
[/B]WHA?[/B] :huh:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Cheap cap/ rotor buttons can go bad in no time. Quality units have brass terminals. I was buying cheap ones three at a time till I found a good quality cap. Cracked coils draw in moisture for a second,dry out and work fine till they get wet again. Took me a couple months once to catch this happening. Timing can be checked with an old fashioned timing light for chain stretch. Timing chain should be replaced around 150,000 miles also.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Caps with the brass inserts are known as OE original equipment style. If you don't ask for it they will give you the aluminum one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.