DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my truck has been making a weird noise for a couple of weeks now. I just got a chance to look into it. It was the transfer case. It was dry. I'm thinking the noise I heard was the chain. I inspected it the best I can. (Now that I think about it maybe I should have put a magnet in there to see what comes out.) Oh well, it's full now and the noise is gone. I didn't see any cracks and the plugs were tight so I don't know where the leak is. I'll have to find that. Anyway how much damage do you think I caused?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
the tcase uses a pump to circulate the fluid to lubricate everything if it ran dry you did some damage depending on how long it ran that way will determin how much damage was done you might want to drop it and rebuild it before you are stuck along the road with major damage right now id say bearings pump and chain maybe sprockets if you wait to long it could be damaged housing

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll have to rebuild it before camping season hit. I'm not towing my travel trailer with a questionable t-case. I'm thinking about getting a used one but I'm not really sure if that's a good idea. On the other hand rebuilding one can be expensive if I have to get a new chain and sprocket kit. The chain alone is only $100 plus the rest of the kit ($125) but a chain and sprocket kit runs $325

Now the question is...does my t-case have a SYE kit or not. Does anyone know?

BTW...The prices I'm getting are from http://jbconversions.com/store/rebuild_kits.html

Has anyone ever dealt with them?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
if your not in a hurry watch ebay for a used tcase or get one from a salvage yard and go thru it then swap out your old one or just take your out see what damage was done and order your parts

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as it holds out I'm not in a hurry. :D Thanks for the advice. I just remembered there is a guy parting out a 01 Ram on Craig's List. I wonder if he still has his. I'm going to have to check this out.

Thanks again for all the advice.:tup:

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
glad to help

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
I just had one in the shop a week and a half ago that was run dry, it was unrebuildable it was so bad. The shift forks have plastic bushings on them,they are the first things to go.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Yup!

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
reminds me i should check mine. Is there a check hole ?
the fill hole is located on the back driver side of the t-case about 3/4 of the way up the level should be even with the hole or slightly below

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
is there a seal for them? mines leaking.. well is "wet" around the back of it.. im not sure what you'd call it.. maybe the tail cone? anyways, it is where it can be bolted up. how much are gaskets, or can i even change that? 180k isn't bad for a gasket heh.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That big black gasket going to the driveshaft Sony? Mine's the same way, always has a drop or two of fluid on it, but the fluid level never goes down, or at least not that I can tell. Still bothers me though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.