DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a Cummins Turbo Diesel in my 85 Dodge Ramcharger, I am wanting to find a simple picture of the fuel tank out of a 93 Ramcahrger, wanting to know if they still used the same fuel sump system as in my 85, or if they switch to a siimilar style the my 93 Diesel engine used.

Any hints would be great, I am heading to the Public Library today, to look at the sevice manual, hopefully that will tell me what I want to know.

Hope to have some pics of everything up sometime soon as well!

·
Registered
134 Posts
as far as I know there the same .... a cummins in a ramcharger hmmmmm thats hot!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A quick little note, on the sumps. A ramcharger fuel tank from 91-93 end up being the exact same mount for the fuel sump from the 90's model cummins. I need a fuel tank that was designed for a fuel ingected engine, with the pump in the tank. This ends up being the style needed to use the sumps that go with the diesels, but from my research you could use your existing sump, it will work. I just like the newer style sump, much better design.

Project Note: Got the motor tranny and transfer case in and bolted up, only one modification was needed, had to slot out the transfer case mounting point just about 3/4 in further, then the standard slotted hole, but other then that, everything just sat right in there. I hope to have the truck wiring done this weekend and get it fired up for a test start.

·
Registered
313 Posts
been done several times already. FYI your frame will crack in about 2 years due to lighter frame than 3/4 ton frame.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
tdimark said:
been done several times already. FYI your frame will crack in about 2 years due to lighter frame than 3/4 ton frame.

That's an interesting point seeing as how the Cummins is heavier and puts out a lot more torque. What if he were to add some gusseting or box the frame?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you could be right, and it may happen, but before I started this project I did a little studing in the frames, and both frames were the same guage steel, with the same bends and the same cross members, only diference was one is several feet longer then the other, so i figure I could take my chance on the frame holding. Also if my buddies shortbox 79 rock crawler with a 440 bigblock has held up to his suped up engine for almost 10 years now doing muddin, and rock crawling, then I figured that my truck would hold up as a daily driver. If I am wrong though it is not a big deal, I have the old 3/4 ton frame, I will just cute it down to fit my ramchager, and bolt it right under my body.

Also since this swap has been done many of times, is there anone out there that would like to leave me a few messages on how theres worked, and any problems that they may have run into with there swap.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Torque is much more than a Ramcharger frame was meant to handle. look a every Dodge truck with a Cummins from 89-93 every single one will have a torque mark in the top of the drivers side fender. wonder why the Cummins was never offered in a 6 foot frame. use nothing less than Dana 60 rears(the rear probably wont last long if it is anything less,a dana 44F will not last very long at all) all cummins came with dana 60F and dana 70 in the rear. the first year alot of driveshafts were twisted off. i luv power.............

·
Registered
313 Posts
i also forgot when you wire your project use the entire wiring harness from the diesel donor as the two are not compatable(diesel vs 85 gas). you will also need instrument cluster from what ever year motor came from or close, 85 will not work. if you have complete motor harness attached to motor all you will need is complete dash harness from late 89 up. very simple plug and play. you will also need rear tail light harness from a fuel injected Ramcharger. in short pull harness from 85 and replace with harness from donor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just for an update on the project:

engine in, fit perfect no problems, same motor and tranny mounts everything
wireing harness almost in, switched everything out from the donar, even got myself power windows, locks, and mirror, everything swapped with easily, only mod needed there was to drive four 2.25in holes for the wiring harness to go threw cab to doors, and had to rewire the clip for the rear lighting, different clip between the two years, neither problem was hardley any trouble, I know that the stock axles are not strong enough over the long haul, I have $8500 custom built, dana 60's that will be put under the old girl eventually, but not right now. All this truck will be doing for now is driving up and down the streets of town, and the highway carring my little man and I, to work, school, and the lake. So all will be good for now, when get some more money, will be doing a frame off restoration of the whole truck.

hope to have the old girl running sat, and driving by next sat

like mr. tdimark said, I had planned to do an entire wire harness swap for i did not want to deal with triing to mesh the two systems.

side not, the dash swap out was so simple, everythign from one truck bolted right in on my old one, even got to keep mydash plastic, inards fit right in my exsisting dash, love dodge and there never mess with what works idealology

·
Registered
313 Posts
how goes the project

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Project Update:

Well got sick and did not get to work on it much for a while, but did finally find the new gas tank I was looking for, and it is ordered and on its way. Core support bushing where shot so ordered how new body mount bushing kit by Energy Suspension, they shall be here today. So as soon as those bushing get here, I can finishing bolting the front end together and it shall be just about ready to test fire. I figure a good eight hours of work, and should be able to fire up the old girl. Then I will still have to modify the exhaust system, and mount the new fuel tank once it arrives. I am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel, it is a good feeling, I miss driving that truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cummins Turbo Diesel Ramcharger!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest news, got the truck running, works like a charm had a few things to modifiy for temporary till put my new axles under the truck then will be changing back, hope to have a few picks up here soon showing how it all looks now, love driving this bad boy, it is a ton of fun now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.