Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi alltogether,
read some of the threads here about sudden engine death and checked the solutions offered on my Ram Van - but couldnt get it better.

Mine is a 2000 with 5,2 petrol engine running on liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), a model by BRC. Bought it with 195 000 km and had absolutely no problems for the first 5000 km. The LPG equipment always starts the engine on petrol and switches the operation over to gas after some minutes when a certain engine temperature is given.

Problem description: When i switch key to ON position and cant hear the fuel pump working, the car wont start (engine is cranking, but does not run) Sometimes the fuel pump is working, sometimes not.

When fp is working and i start the engine it runs on petrol (as its supposed to do) and changes to LPG after some minutes. But even in LPG modus (do i need the fuel pump in that modus??) it can die suddenly after some kilometers. It will start again when the fuel pump is audible in operation - and wont if its not. But even if the engine starts, ABS warning light, handbrake and brake warning light are on. So the problem seems to be the fuel pump - sometimes working, sometimes not. Does a faulty pump generate a signal that shuts the engine down? What can cause the warning lamps? For sure there is no brake failure.

Some of the posts here mentioned that a nearly empty fuel tank (fuel is cooling the pump) could be the reason for fuel pump damage - i always operated the car with 1/1 filled petrol tank (use the petrol only as spare in case of an empty LPG tank). Naturally i dont know, what the pre-owner did.

I checked the wiring of the Power Distribution Center and found little corrosion on (+) and (-), cleaned all - no effect. Pulled out all relais from PDC and checked the pins and connections - they seem to look ok, no corrosion.

I also checked the wiring / plugs on the PCM unit and the pins really looked like brand new when i disconnected them - no corrosion at all. Some posts mentioned that the PCM case could not be grounded - how can i check that? How can i make sure that either PDC and PDM are grounded?

Please let me know your ideas. Thank you for all input and ideas that get me back on the road soon.

Frank

Forgot to tell: Odometer shows "no Bus" message - but not constantly.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Would start by getting the codes. ... DK squat about your dual fuel LPG system.

... Would not let the ethanol gas get more than a 1 or 2 months old; purchase fuel free of ethanol if you can (around here, Shell Gold does not list ethanol on pump).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
Where / how can i get them (codes)? Always used "fresh" LPG - did not keep it longer than 1 week or so in the tank

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Thanks.
Where / how can i get them (codes)? Always used "fresh" LPG - did not keep it longer than 1 week or so in the tank
Ram trucks have the OBD2 port under dash by steering column, DK about Vans.

LPG (propane) is not the issue; its the ethanol in most/all modern gasoline that causes huge issues if it gets old.

May have better response posting this in B series vans

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=278

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
The LPG equipment always starts the engine on petrol and switches the operation over to gas after some minutes when a certain engine temperature is given.
What i would do is disconnect the lp set up(from switching for gas to lp) and run it on gas only to see if you still have the problem. Need to determine if it's the engine or fuel issue causing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, problem ist still there. Started engine on petrol, warmed it up, switched to LP automatically, then I turned off the LP set to let it run on petrol only. Engine dies - sometimes after 3, sometimes after 30 minutes. Restarts again only if the fuel pump is hearable in operation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will get it tested by next week (fuel pump, codes, PDC and PMC). Really curious what causes this issue. Will post again as soon as i know more details. Thank you all for your help.
Frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.