DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 4x4 sport with the 5.9. Engine was running fine using a little oil of course, but while on the interstate my radiator gave way. Temps were around 210 but never completely went full blown red mark. I was able to pull off the highway and stop at a gas station.

Needless to say I got it home, put a new radiator in it today only to find she is blowing out white smoke with a combination of blue smoke (which it already burned oil so nothing new their).

Now my question is this. What in the world would be wrong with it considering the oil is not milky at all? If it were a head gasket/cracked heads I could see the white smoke deal, but I should also have milky oil as well unless I am missing something here. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Pressurized cooling system leaks, whether crack or head gasket related, may be confined to chamber/s, or either port in cyl head, or intake; may or may not leak into crankcase. ... If coolant is getting into the chambers, it will slowly be going past the rings and accumulate in the oil; yup, anti-freeze in oil eats/destroys brgs.

... If your real real lucky, you may have this problem>>>> Had a head deck/gasket/crack problem plagued forb V6 2.9L; it's last failure was crack that only leaked into exhaust port, so only problem was keeping it topped up with coolant (luckily, when cooling down, the crack sealed up enough to withdraw coolant from reservoir).
... It's 3 earlier failings were far more devastating and final; got all the brgs more than once.

... Watch condition of the oil on the dipstick, like a hawk.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pressurized cooling system leaks, whether crack or head gasket related, may be confined to chamber/s, or either port in cyl head, or intake; may or may not leak into crankcase. ... If coolant is getting into the chambers, it will slowly be going past the rings and accumulate in the oil; yup, anti-freeze in oil eats/destroys brgs.

... If your real real lucky, you may have this problem>>>> Had a head deck/gasket/crack problem plagued forb V6 2.9L; it's last failure was crack that only leaked into exhaust port, so only problem was keeping it topped up with coolant (luckily, when cooling down, the crack sealed up enough to withdraw coolant from reservoir).
... It's 3 earlier failings were far more devastating and final; got all the brgs more than once.

... Watch condition of the oil on the dipstick, like a hawk.
Here is a video after the new radiator and coolant.
http://youtu.be/w90X-O8EpQg
So more less probably looking at a head problem and "may" be lucky enough it is not getting into the oil....

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Here is a video after the new radiator and coolant.
http://youtu.be/w90X-O8EpQg
So more less probably looking at a head problem and "may" be lucky enough it is not getting into the oil....
Sorry man, costs me a freaking fortune to watch vids on my puter connection.

... Sounds like it had oil consumption problems before; if it was just plenum leaking, your 1/3 way there; depending on mileage etc.

... Did cyl pressures (chamber crack leaking into water jacket) get into cooling system and cause rad trough leak/s?; as opposed to rad failing causing engine damage.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry man, costs me a freaking fortune to watch vids on my puter connection.

... Sounds like it had oil consumption problems before; if it was just plenum leaking, your 1/3 way there; depending on mileage etc.

... Did cyl pressures (chamber crack leaking into water jacket) get into cooling system and cause rad trough leak/s?; as opposed to rad failing causing engine damage.
Well radiator was pretty bad before as the top had been "banged" around by some idiots crawling in to take a look at engine. I do not think pressure related to the failure.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Remove plugs, look for any that are too clean (coolant in chamber often will give plug a clean/washed look), but you may have to run it a bit more, depends.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Well at 200K i would think it's time to freshen up the engine. Smoke may be oil from worn rings or bad valve seals or the plenum. If it's getting coolant in the cylinder you will smell it coming out the tail pipe. It may also not want to run on that cylinder. Coolant will usually short the plug(depending on how big of a leak) so you wont get a spark until it clears it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.