DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if someone can pin point this question with proof?
This has come up before, but I can't find it.
Many of us have chips or programmers for our trucks for added performance. I have the Hypertech III programmer. I haven't installed it yet because I want to know if the on-board computer records or stores information when we install this particular mod? In other words, If we were to take our trucks in for service and have returned the truck back to stock , taking the programmer right out of the system, does the technician have a way of knowing that we had these aftermarket programmers in our trucks?
This could be a major let down for a voided warranty over 16 to 20 horsepower.

·
Hemi Power
2,017 Posts
I have read on this site that they can tell, even if you put it back to stock.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know the link?
Thats what I am worried about.
I wonder if it comes up automatically when they reflash the computer for whatever reason.

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
I know I told my service manager about doing the reset by disconnecting the neg battery and he said they can tell if the battery was disconnected. so I would guess that yeah they could prolly tell. oh and just a ? do you really think the programer is going to give you that much of a hp jump. I hear that most things that state how much you gain is actually really 1/2 of what hey say

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
But also idn't true that programmers can't void the warranty? A lonely little dealership would have to decree that all aftermarket programmers are bad for the truck and void the warranty. I'm not sure there's a dealership around willing to take on that kind of responsibilty.

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
kruser79 said:
But also idn't true that programmers can't void the warranty? A lonely little dealership would have to decree that all aftermarket programmers are bad for the truck and void the warranty. I'm not sure there's a dealership around willing to take on that kind of responsibilty.
My dealer said it wont because they even sell them and I asked him about that. and he handed me a copy of the laws that say aftermarket products like this cant void it .

·
Hemi Power
2,017 Posts
TREP R/T said:
Do you know the link?
No I don't, sorry.

I believe for them to void the warranty, they have to prove the mod caused the problem?

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
I quoted this off of a sponser here forgot his name :D
Personally i doubt it'll void warranty.

Hope it helps:

Warranty Facts

The fears you may have:

You want to upgrade you new car or truck, for whatever reason whether it's not fast or quick enough or does not tow enough weight, or for whatever reason that is your buisness as the comsumer to be able to modify your verhicle as you please. However how many times have you heard of someone at a dealership say that installation of any aftermarket part automatically voids your warranty? This misconception has been repeated so often that it is widely believed even though that it is compeltely false.

The fact's you need to know:

Dealerships don't like to do warranty work, because it pays less than repair work, and requries them to do something for nothing, even though you are legally obligated to it. By promoting the myth that aftermarket equipment automatically voids your warranty, most dealers instead attemp to charge the customer the full service rate, even though you are rightfully under warranty.

The Truth

Most vehicle owners are not aware that they are protected by federal law which is the magnuson-moss warranty act - federal trade commission improvement of 1975. Under the magnuson-moss act , aftermarket equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states that aftermarket equipment voids the warranty, most states have warranty statues as well and will provide further protection for vehicl owners.

Fact: a dealership must prove - not just say - that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repair before he can deny warranty coverage on that basis.
Fact: if you are still being unfairly denied warranty coverage, there is recourse. The Federal Commmison , which administers the magnuson-moss act , moniters compliance with warranty direct complaints to the ftc at (202) 326-3128.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Put!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.