DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all hail and well met... im looking into a functional RAM Air induction scoop for the Beast... i have one in mind that was reccomended to me by one on the boards... anways, i never quite got how RAM Air works on a vehicle.. 'bout all i know is that its going to boost my HP and touqe a bit (or more, if im mistaken).

If anyone feels a little sciency, please try to explain how RAM Air works, what it does and how much HP/tourqe gain i could be getting.

Thanx in advance. (if i get this paticular RAM Air diddymabob, ill let y'all kno and tell you how i like it)

·
Yea boooyeee!
1,996 Posts
They sure look cool. The actual performance gain of it wouldn't really be felt 'cept in the highway, and that's providing that you can actually get the air 'rammed' into your intake. The concept of introducing fresh cold air to your intake is a good one tho.
Ex. My buddy had a 01 LS1 Firebird. After a RamAir kit, it knocked like .1 of his 1/4 times. BUT, cruisin out on the highway, felt more responsive.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
If anyone feels a little sciency, please try to explain how RAM Air works, what it does and how much HP/tourqe gain i could be getting.
Ever stick you hand out the window when driving? That's the idea, the air will be force fed to the intake. So naturally, the faster you are moving, the more force is behind the air charge. Even when cruising it will help some, as the air outside the hood is cooler than air inside.
But like stated above, functional ram is most benficial at highway speeds.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Post #5
Here is the link to the Ram Air Scoop fromt Volant. With this system you dont need to replace your hood, it scoops down to your bumper.
that's good until you hit deep water or go off the beaten path.
Didn't someone used to make one that picked up outside air between the radiator & headlight assembly?
That seems like the ideal location since it's a more direct angle and it's high enough to keep most water & mud out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now i wonder if its possible to have daul intakes... one under the bumper (as i dont off road, unless it neccessary... even though hitting that one mud puddle at 45 mph rocked my socks Oo; ) and another under the hood... if so, throw on a super charger and the Beast would be beastly cruisin down the highway...

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
if you are going to install a blower you don't need to plumb for a 'ram air' effect, so you could locate the air inlet where ever you want.
I have seen some people that go boating with thier trucks (really deep water/mud) plumb the intake into the cab.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.