DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Is The Silver Box Mounted On The Fender By The Battery. It Makes A Humming Noise And Will Not Allow The Truck To Crank, But We Can Jump It Off. Anybody With Any Ideas Please Help!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I`ll look at mine tomorrow, ( 88 power ram 50), I think what your talking about is what they call the ``device box``,,,,, If it has lots of vacuum lines and such running out of it....Its controlled by the computer, dont do much, just adjusts the feedback carb,and a few other things.....Yours may be a little different than my 88, but i will look at it tomorrow, and get back on here later.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your help

Thanks for the reply, the box is about 2x2 and has wires plugged to the bottom of it. 12v is printed on it. HELP!

·
Registered
194 Posts
That isnt the `device box``.......sounds like its a voltage regulator...Id unhook the pos. lead off your alternator, (unhook your battery first) , then see if it still buzzes.......could be an alt. problem or the regulator is bad...Still havent looked at mine, but for sure tom. will do........We gotta keep our old mitsu`s running, they are getting scarce, but surprisingly, many parts still available........Recently purchased a fuel sender for my 88, from the dealer.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great Suggestion I'll try it!

In the mean time once you look at yours, keep the suggestions comin'. If it is the part your thinking, the next problem will be locating one. HELP!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I finally remembered to look under the hood of my 88 power ram 50 today....I dont have an external regulator, that year it must be an intergral regulator, part of the alternator..........However, I`m almost sure what your describing is a voltage reg. on your trk....Its available at autozone, wells, part # VR 764.........Beware, if its humming and acting goofy, it may have taken the alt along for a ride, or, vice versa...........
How did you make out with it?? As I said, id unhook the batt cable, then unhook the large pos. lead going to the alt, then unhook the harness at the reg.......re connect the batt, and see if there is any noises coming from the reg.......good luck...

·
Registered
91 Posts
are we forgetting about the starter relay had the same prob and swapped it and everything was peachy but yes the alt and vreg are worth a look see

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We're back in business!

Hey,
We did all you said to do and narrowed it down to a bad wire changed it out and everythings good to go! I will save all your suggestions and info for future reference. Thanks soooo much!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Glad you made out ok,,,,,,,,,keep that little mitsu (ram 50 ) running........If you need links to parts, e mail me, i can send some, recently bought a clutch cable just to put away , in case, also rebuilt the brake calibers, (beck arney from adv. auto), and bought some spare idler arm bushings....( they are plastic, but last about 100,000 miles)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.