DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to find the grease fitting for the double universal joint on the front driveshaft (close to the xfer case) . The manual shows there to be a greasefitting on this joint, but I could not find anything there. I was wondering if any one else has any ideas on this or possible my vehicle does not have a grease fitting?
thx BDX.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just found mine last weekend. It took a while. I almost gave up on finding it, too.

Get the tires off the ground and manually turn the driveshaft. Mine had 30K miles without grease, so the "fitting" was dry & covered in dirt. Once I cleaned it off, a very obvious metallic cup became visible with a tiny hole in the center. Took a few times with the grease gun to get the right angle for grease to enter the fitting.

Herre's a link that should help:
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60247

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I was looking for something more obvious. Are front wheels enough to get off ground to free drivetrain in front or do I need all 4 off ground? Thanks Again, BDX

·
Registered
529 Posts
Great Post, I too have been looking for this lube point.

·
Registered
167 Posts
BDX said:
Thanks for the information. I was looking for something more obvious. Are front wheels enough to get off ground to free drivetrain in front or do I need all 4 off ground? Thanks Again, BDX
I'm not 100% sure. I had all 4 wheels off the ground as I was rotating the tires.

I'd try just the front. If the shaft does not spin, then pick up the back.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
BDX said:
Nope. Just jack one front tire off the ground. You can manually turn the front drive shaft by hand due to the open case front diff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thaks for the tip. I miss the days of locking hubs when you could just climb under and turn the train however you liked.

BDX.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The manual will specify some mopar part number, however I used some HD grease for front ends and drives purcased from autozone. You will also need a syringe type device shaped like a 5 gauge needle to insert in the cup on the U joint as there is not a grease fitting but this cup you can barely find. Autozone also had this part in stock. If you need more info I will get the part numbers.

BDX

·
Registered
529 Posts
which knuckle is it at, the one near the trans or the one connected to the axle? Still cant find the darn thing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is closest to the transfer case. Don't look for a conventional grease fitting, it is a small cup like object that looks nothing like it would accept grease. If you raise one front tire off ground and rotate the shaft and look with a flashlight you will find it.. however it is nested inside the uv joint so you need to look up and inside the joint itself to find it so a bright flashlight will help. Inside the cup is a hole for a pin which you need to buy and attach to your grease gun to shoot grease indide the hole, otherwise you won't be able to actually grease the joint.

Best BDX.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Here is a pic for you........

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thank you very much, that pic and info will help when I get under there again. I bought that needle months ago and couldnt find the darn thing, the needle works great for puncturing tierod boots for grease purposes though, hahahah. I am truly a "brokanic" Thanks again everyone, A1 informative post

·
Banned
43 Posts
MadHawaiian I'm always glad to help!

Happy hunting! :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tried finding mine today. I guess I was not looking close enough. Will jack the front tire up tomorrow and give it a spin. This time I will have a flash light ready.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It is pretty hard to find the first time. I use a needle attachment I got a NAPA. I think the part number is a 715-1200.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I found it. Like you said, it takes a little close looking. I did not have to buy anything. I used a syringe with a blunt tip needle that I got from the EMS closet and put some grease in there. I put about 2 1/2 CC's in it before it started to come out. I feel better now that I found it and finally got some needed grease in there. I have 50K miles on it. :rck:

·
Registered
810 Posts
I wonder if the syringe I have to lube my chainsaw bar would work there? Anyone thought of that yet?

·
Registered
93 Posts
It might work. The main thing you need is a hard needle to open the little spring loaded valve to let the grease in. A needle and syringe from a farm supply center would work also. One to give shots to animals. They are cheap.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here's a couple more pictures and the Needle you will need to do the job.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.