DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help....95 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L starts once in awhile. I replaced the coil and still won't start. I sprayed starter fluid in the air cleaner and it wouldn't even fire so its not the fuel relay or pump. The engine turns over just fine. I will try many times and then I will go back out there and try one more time and it will turn right over, however if I leave sit for ten minutes it won't start......any help would be appreciated!

Bob

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Still sounds like fuel to me. Are you getting spark?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ram won't Start

bigaaron said:
any check engine lights before it not starting
No check engine lights before this all happened. I thought it might be the fuel pump, so I injected Starting Fluid into the air cleaner box and still no start. I will try for hours at different times to keep cranking the engine and nothing, then I will go out and try one more time and the damn thing starts. I will let it run for a time until the motor warms up, then shut down and try again and it will start, leave it alone for 30mins and it won't start????

·
Registered
213 Posts
Crank sensor in the tranny bell housing or a plate in the distributor housing. Cant think of the name of it right now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BigDodge99 said:
Crank sensor in the tranny bell housing or a plate in the distributor housing. Cant think of the name of it right now.
Thanks, that is my next area is the distributer pickup plate, but getting at that distributer looks awesome for my 318CI. I will also look up the crank sensor on the bell housing. I should check to see if my coil is working and getting 12 volts to the plug on the bottom.

Thanks again for your help

sdbob101

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
You should be getting a misfire code of your coil or dist wasn't working properly.
Do you have access to a pressure gage that you could hook up to the fuel rail? Have you tried cycling the key (to engage the fuel pump) a few times before trying to crank it? Can you hear the pump running for 1-2 seconds when you cycle the key on?
If you have a timing light (and an assistant) you can check for correct spark timing.

edit: have you tried swapping the relay for the ASD?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.