DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wondering what ram would be the best for me? I want a shortbox reg. cab and preforably a manual. I was thinking a 1500 with the 318? Will this have decent power what are the stock 0-60 times compared to a ram with the 8.0l?

I would plan to do a mild lift put some 33-12.50 tires, and run in the mud sometimes and the snow sometimes. I would also use this truck for hunting.

I was thinking a 1500 but how durable are they?

1 more question the 1500 and 2500 both have solid axle fronts correct( for years around a 97-98?)??

Thanks for the advice.!

unknown666

·
Registered
287 Posts
dont quote me on this, but did they make a 1500 with a v-8 and manual trans in those years? i know you can find a bunch of 2500 series with manuals, but not two many 1500 series. The 1500 series are very durable trucks, and totally capable of what you are looking for. The 2500 series are even more durable, and capable of what you plan on doing. i would go with a 5.9lt just because of the extra power.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Well if you want a short bed and a reg cab, you have to get a 1500. That combo was never offered in a 2500. A 1500 will hold up well with just 33's, but personally Id get a 2500. Bigger axles, better T case, bigger frame, and it already will sit 2" higher than a 1500.
All Rams were solid axle to 2001. All 2500/3500 are solid front axle regardless of teh years.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
You could get a manual in a 1500, but you couldnt get it with the 360.

·
Registered
287 Posts
ahhhh...never knew that...i would suggest the 2500 also more capable with your specs, plus its much more durable. thats my .2 ;)

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
I've ran 33" tires on my 2500 with out a lift with no problem. I think 34s would fit to.
I don't know what the 0-60 times are but when I was looking for a truck the 1500s v8s had no power compared to the v10 I decided to buy. The v8s couldn't even spin the tires, at least on the trucks I tested.
I'd go with a 2500.

·
AJ Gtz
302 Posts
1500's are pretty light when off-roading....2500's are pretty good at almost everything..pulling and off-roading...hunting...etc...more rear end torque for ya....

v10sport said:
Well if you want a short bed and a reg cab, you have to get a 1500. That combo was never offered in a 2500. A 1500 will hold up well with just 33's, but personally Id get a 2500. Bigger axles, better T case, bigger frame, and it already will sit 2" higher than a 1500.
All Rams were solid axle to 2001. All 2500/3500 are solid front axle regardless of teh years.
i've only seen a 2500 4x4 short bed reg cab in Mexico..they look splended...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well then i suppose ill get a 2500, they made a ext cab short box correct? With either a 360 or the v10, and a manual! are the auto trannies reliable? if so maybe ill get one with a auto.

Thanks!

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
The auto trans is the achillies heal to these trucks. I know, I owned three before my 2500 Diesel. Not that there arent some great upgrades available, its just that if you add any measure of performance to the stock engine, you will have to upgrade the trans or suffer the fate. Yes the 2500 and 3500 can be had with the extended cab (to 97) and Quad cab (97 on) with a short box. Watch for output shaft problems with the early Getrag 5 speed sticks, the NV 4500 5 speed is better, and the NV5600 is the close ratio version of that (1st is the same, 2/3/4 are closer together, 5th is 1:1, 6 becomes overdrive). I'm not sure but I think the 6 speed was only available with the HO Diesel in 2 Gen Rams. Dont let that stop you from looking at an oil burner though, as many of the members will tell you, anything you can do to the gassers you can do to the Diesels, and they put out very impressive HP and torque numbers too. My best advice, get the stoutest truck you can afford and go from there, you wont be sorry.

·
AJ Gtz
302 Posts
...take a look at my Ram...read the sig for info...NTXCrazyOne's Ram @ Cardomain.com

Meierznutz said:
The auto trans is the achillies heal to these trucks. I know, I owned three before my 2500 Diesel. Not that there arent some great upgrades available, its just that if you add any measure of performance to the stock engine, you will have to upgrade the trans or suffer the fate. Yes the 2500 and 3500 can be had with the extended cab (to 97) and Quad cab (97 on) with a short box. Watch for output shaft problems with the early Getrag 5 speed sticks, the NV 4500 5 speed is better, and the NV5600 is the close ratio version of that (1st is the same, 2/3/4 are closer together, 5th is 1:1, 6 becomes overdrive). I'm not sure but I think the 6 speed was only available with the HO Diesel in 2 Gen Rams. Dont let that stop you from looking at an oil burner though, as many of the members will tell you, anything you can do to the gassers you can do to the Diesels, and they put out very impressive HP and torque numbers too. My best advice, get the stoutest truck you can afford and go from there, you wont be sorry.
exactly

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the 00-01 Ram 2500 are the best trucks out there (price/looks/quality)

·
AJ Gtz
302 Posts
01SLT2500 said:
I think the 00-01 Ram 2500 are the best trucks out there (price/looks/quality)
....the 00-01 Rams look the same on the exterior except the plastic black side mirrors...quality?..dunno...my dad's owned an 01 and it totally sucked...a friend has a 00 and kicks butt...

·
Night Rider
646 Posts
Get a 1500, Short Box, Reg Cab with a 360 5.9 liter. GET AN AUTO! Trust me, for a little mud and ease when driving you will want auto. I have a standard car for driving standard. Trucks are much easier when they are auto and more fun IMO. =D

By the way, my truck was made in Mexico... oo ya she was born south of da border...

-Pat-

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,704 Posts
i have one of the rare few manual 5.2 and love it. mine will roast the tires pretty good when i want it to. and holds its own in mud sand and anything else i throw at it. if you want a standard do it its alot more fun in my opinion. :D

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Capt Cameltoe said:
remember the beefier trannies and rears in the 2500's will soak up more of the hp from the engine.
I disagree on this. Why does the 2500 axle eat more HP? Id think the 1500 axle would zap more HP, due to the axle being a semi float design and axle shafts have to support the wieght of the truck and transmit power to the wheels. That weight bearing on the axle should require more effort to turn than a 2500 rear axle which is a full floater and the axle shaft just has to transmit power and does not carry any weight of the truck on the shafts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.