DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well what i thought was a bummed t-case is now my front end. my passenger front has been wearing really bad and i cant drive past 45-50 without this weird vibration. the wheel isn't shaking, but just a weird vibration. then stops when i put the t-case in 4-hi. its been getting worse ever since my dumb ass thought i could rock crawl better than my buddy's Yota, and i got hung up on my front drive shaft and it felt like it popped into 2wd. then i messed with it a bit and it went back into 4. any ideas?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also i do have a 3 inch body lift... i dont know if that would mess with the linkage at all? i dont think so but food for thought.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and also there's a loud annoying clanking noise from the front end when i hit a bump. everything in the suspension and steering is tight, and there's the same clanking noise as i'm coming to a stop when i get down to about 15mph. it clanks like gears and grinding then finally meshing together when i get down to that speed. I'm thinking the CAD is toast? if that is possible?

·
Black Sunshine!
994 Posts
If CAD was bad you wouldn’t get 4hi and you really should pop the diff and take a goood long look at everything in there make sure there’s no play in any parts and so on also look at the axle for dents. Just a thought but you could have messed up the axle shaft on the passenger side which would explain the sound going away when it’s locked back up.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when im in 4hi, the light is on, but if im in dirt or gravel the rear tires just sit there and spin....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Front driveshaft bent after you got hung up on it?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yup.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
when im in 4hi, the light is on, but if im in dirt or gravel the rear tires just sit there and spin....
When you say "just sit there", do you mean the "truck will not move" while rear tires continue to spin?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no i put it in 4hi when i'm in the dirt or gravel and i put my foot into it and the truck moves but it's only the rear tires spinning.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Then you probably should crack the front end open you for sure broke something if it's not engaging in there. Is it making any grinding noises when your in 4wd? Or check those vacuum lines that go to the front end you could've ripped them off when you got hung up.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Worsening vib, clanking, now no 4x; sounds like a few different problems. INSPECT EVERYTHING, and pop the cover as suggested above.

·
Black Sunshine!
994 Posts
X2 something is busted look at the vac lines, open the diff look in there and pull the CAD off and look at it and the shift fork then with it off look inside the axle.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im going outside to do that right now. vac lines are fine. ive had to replace those already. ill pull the cover off and the CAD and see what she looks like. ill keep y'all posted. thank you guys

·
MYTYT
1,512 Posts
Worsening vib, clanking, now no 4x; sounds like a few different problems. INSPECT EVERYTHING, and pop the cover as suggested above.
Yes. Absolutely.

I am almost 100% sure the "clanking" is a busted axle shaft u-joint. Mine did the same thing. I would also be checking the ball joints. They will make a "kuhh thunk" noise as well if they are getting ready to crumble.

You did replace the bent front drive shaft correct??

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so i popped the CAD off and it was filled with mud and grease. the shaft going towards the pumpkin has a lot of play in it. i can slide it in and out and move it up and down. is that normal?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all the ball joints and axle shaft u-joints are in great shape.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh ya... and a couple metal rings or something fell out and what looked like it used to be a seal?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the clunk noise im hearing when i slow down sounds like gears are slowly meshing together until i get to about 10-15 then it sounds like the gears are matching up. weird

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok i popped the cover off any everything looks fine. gear oil is green and watered down, but for a 4x4 i suppose that's common. so ill change the fluid. i guess it just rules it down to the CAD. the weird part is when i was pulling it apart, the vacuum diaphragm was loose and wobbling around. and the shift fork was really loose. i have never torn into these so i'm not sure what's correct and whats not

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
maybe if the diaphragm and the fork were loose that's what causing the clanking noise? the shafts could just be banging around in there?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.