DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been reading about hemi engines stalling and idling funny during parking and stopping, but has anyone had the same problem with the 4.7L on 1500's. Mine is an 03.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
When I first got mine, I had a problem with it shuddering at red lights. Only happened once a week or so. And it would shudder a little, the tach would hunt around from 600-800 RPM, then settle a little lower than 650.
After I loaded up my first SC program, I never had it happen again. It is rock solid at 650 RPM, it never budges.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Superchips programmer, sorry.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Mine has stalled 3 times, and all 3 were after I put on the headers and cutout. Once I was sitting at the drag strip, idling, with the wheel full lock so I just figured that the power steering pump was just too much for idle. Later, after work talkin to my buddies in the parking lot it just shut off...that really pissed me off. The third time was idling on a hill in traffic...all 3 incidences were within a month, so idunno.
With the cutout open it hunts RPM at idle, from 500-900 RPM. si I figure its something with the free flowing exhaust (headers, custom Ypipe, catback system, cutout)

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
cabrera121799 said:
Ive been reading about hemi engines stalling and idling funny during parking and stopping, but has anyone had the same problem with the 4.7L on 1500's. Mine is an 03.
Your injectors might need to be flushed. Also cleaning the tb and sensors could help. I am going to be putting sea foam in my truck this weekand since I have some carbon build up on a cylinder casuing my truck to idle low every now and then. How many miles do you have on your truck?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I belive there was a TSB on the 02 03 4.7 for that very issue. several people here have gone to the dealer and gotten flash to solve the problem

·
Slow 4.7 club
803 Posts
I am haveing that same problem on my 03.. It has 78k on it right now.. I am gonna try to clean the Tb and sensors this weekend but hell i might just run it into a tree!!

Willis

·
nick
390 Posts
mine has cut off on me a few times. just the other night pulling into my driveway it shut off. my truck is an 05 and only has 27,000 miles on it.

·
Banned
24 Posts
My 05' 4.7 has stalled numerous times with the steering at full turn at idle. I think the power steering pump is too much load for the engine at idle. Its hard to believe a V8 would be overloaded by a steering pump, but it seems that way to me. Now I give her a little gas when I have the steering wheel turned all the way. Its been this way since day 1.

·
Registered
624 Posts
my 03' stalled a few times once i first got it, but hasn't since i've had the chip. i also used seafoam and injector cleaner. try either of them and see if you notice a difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
krs said:
Your injectors might need to be flushed. Also cleaning the tb and sensors could help. I am going to be putting sea foam in my truck this weekand since I have some carbon build up on a cylinder casuing my truck to idle low every now and then. How many miles do you have on your truck?
I took my truck in for some warranty work about a year ago and the dealer told me they recommended a fuel system treatment and tb cleaning for a hundred and something dolars. I said hell no. He also said dodge engines dont like aftermarket fuel system treatments or cleaners. Its not often it idles funny plus i have an extended warranty good for another 50000 miles, so id rather save my money now and hope it breaks down during the warranty period. 45000 miles currently.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
cabrera121799 said:
I took my truck in for some warranty work about a year ago and the dealer told me they recommended a fuel system treatment and tb cleaning for a hundred and something dolars. I said hell no. He also said dodge engines dont like aftermarket fuel system treatments or cleaners. Its not often it idles funny plus i have an extended warranty good for another 50000 miles, so id rather save my money now and hope it breaks down during the warranty period. 45000 miles currently.
The dealership told you some bs. Mine told me to go ahead with sea foam brand. It works, I used it yesterday. They just wanted to make some money off you as you know. When I first dropped off my truck to the dealer the service rep told me to clean the tb and sensors myself to save a few bucks before the injection treatment( mine need the treatment since my mpg went bad). But whatever you do good luck with it, just wanted to give you my 2 cents and not see you get ripped off. Btw mopar sells a injector cleaner as well :D

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Alright, my truck stalled on me the other day. I am having the dealer flash my pcm today with an updated version so hopefully this will take care of the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.