DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
You may want to replace the felts. If those have gotten hardened and arent pushing against the window they can act more like a funnel than a seal. Quick way to tell, on a morning when the truck is covered in dew, roll the window down. If it does not wipe off smoothly all the way down, the felt is gone. I've noticed this with my 2000 lately on the driver side and know it's about time to slap some new felts on the doors.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yes number 5 and 6 are your felts. You should replace both as a pair, as they work together. Those should solve your problem thats the only place other than the rearview mirror where water can get in above the speaker.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the reply RamThis. You really think that replacing the inside piece is going to make any kind of difference? Not arguing, genuinely asking. I have already "wasted" $40 on this and the thought of another $40 down the drain makes me apprehensive.

·
Don't Fear the Reaper
1,638 Posts
What RamThis is pointing out is that the two door felts work together to create a seal. If either one goes bad, it can lead to a leak. The inner and outer felts push the glass against the other creating a better seal. If the inner on has failed it wont push out thus making the seal of the outer felt less effective. It's a guess on all our parts, but it's the best guess we can offer. I might add, that one way you can possibly see how good or bad the seal is, is to take a clean piece of paper and see if that will slide in between the window glass and the inner felt. If it slips in, that tells you what a poor seal you have already. Another is like RamThis already said. Spray your inner glass with some water or windex or something and roll the window down. If it doesn't create a streak, that means the inner felt isn't even touching the glass. Those are just some ideas, maybe RamThis can add some more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
im not sure about the water in the door but i may have an answer fro the water in the cab. i have had several friends say that thier a/c drain on the outside of the truck gets clogged and they have to blow it out with co2 or air somehow and still seem to have trouble with it backing up and leaking inside the cab. after my 99 floorboard started doing this i was not happy with the conclusion as i could see mine driping plenty of water after the truck is shut off on the ground. i pulled my carpet back and watched for the leak. it was leaking around the hole where the drain exits the cab thru the firewall to outside. the silicone or rubber around it has failed so when parked on an incline like my driveway where i always park it will drainand rol right back down the spout against the firwall and leak thru the hoel into the cab. im sure some epoxy or silicoen would have fixed it but i got some rubber hose and a 90 degree elbo and made the drain go all the way down towards teh fram so it had no way to drip back against the firwall. i assum it could even have been blowing back in just from driving down the road. no more wet carpet on mine. an dby the way it was bad enough it was wet from passenger to half the drivers side. but wettest on pass side

·
Registered
984 Posts
What RamThis is pointing out is that the two door felts work together to create a seal. If either one goes bad, it can lead to a leak. The inner and outer felts push the glass against the other creating a better seal. If the inner on has failed it wont push out thus making the seal of the outer felt less effective. It's a guess on all our parts, but it's the best guess we can offer. I might add, that one way you can possibly see how good or bad the seal is, is to take a clean piece of paper and see if that will slide in between the window glass and the inner felt. If it slips in, that tells you what a poor seal you have already. Another is like RamThis already said. Spray your inner glass with some water or windex or something and roll the window down. If it doesn't create a streak, that means the inner felt isn't even touching the glass. Those are just some ideas, maybe RamThis can add some more.

Pretty much sums it. The paper idea is good as well. should not slip in easily, may show you some gap in the seal. I'd bet replacing the inner and outer felts will make a WORLD of difference. I plan to do the same on mine soon, as I notice alot of water drains OUT of my door drains now after a good rain. Never used to do that, plus on foggy mornings with the truck covered in dew the felts miss about half the window when I roll them down meanign they have hardened and arent pushign back against the glass like they used to/should. Should make a clean wipe from top to bottom when you roll down the window covered in morning dew.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had a water leak in my cab that was driving me nuts. We finally found it. Turns out it was the seal around the third brake light in the top of the cab. Try checking that.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.