DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone know anything about the stock radio in a 1991 dodge ram150? I have one that just simply doesn't work. no buttons work or anything else on it and I'm not sure if it is just the head unit or if it is something inside. i checked the connections in the back of the head unit and they are all tight. any ideas?????? Is there any way to check and see if my speakers are still good I have not heard anything out of them since I have had the truck??????

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah its fine (I did check it, just forgot to say I did) thanks for checking out the post though I appreciate it.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Do you have a simple test light? If so, have you checked the main power feed wire, it's usually red but not always. BTW, sometimes there is also a fused wire going to the relay/fuse block ,(This is a stock Chrysler radio correct)

·
Registered
202 Posts
sounds stupid but check all your fuses
on my 93 the radio fuse was good but found another one in the fuse block bad and replaced it and the radio worked

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm i only checked one of them i didn't know there was another. where would the other ones be besides on the main fuse block under the steering column. Oh and yes it is a stock chrysler radio. I don't have a test light but is there anything i could use in place of a test light?

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Get a test light. They are only 1.99-2.99 tops!at auto zone or even better at Harbor freight tool. Walmart has em, and k-mart sometimes has them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The old stock stereos are junk. Back in the late 1990's, when I worked at a Chrysler dealer, I was changing stereos that were only 3-6 months old that just died! Best thing would be to replace the stereo. If you do, get the faceplate adapter, and the aftermarket wiring harness adapter. Both of these are fairly cheap, unless you go to a Stereo shop. Go to WALMART! You would be suprized at what they carry. You can check a speaker for power by simply using a small ( AA,C,D,9V) battery. Just touch the speakers wires to the ends of the battery momentarily. You should here a "static" type noise, and the speaker should move slightly. Remember, the speaker should move outward. This is how using the battery (preffer 9V- more power) can tell you which wire is possitive and negative. Don't be affraid to install this yourself. If you need new door speakers, they are 6"x9". If you get speakers that have other speakers sticking out the top ( ex: 3 ways ), you will have to mod the door panels.

Here is a wiring diagram. Hope some of this helps:

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks a lot man i really do appreciate it and lets hope that walmart has it. is there anything i should tell them before i go get a faceplate (will they have one for a 91 dodge?) and an after market wiring harness adapter(any recommendations on brands or what not?)

·
Registered
510 Posts
The faceplate adapter may be Dodge specific, or a generic one that "Fits" Dodge and some Fords. The generic one works good. The vehicle listings are on the back. Just make sure it's NOT for a late 90's vehicle, because they have a round face, and won't work. As for the wiring adapter, they are brand (Dodge, Ford, Chev) specific.
When you do the wiring, NO "Twist and Tape". Especially on power wires. Please either solder, or crimp connect ALL wires. The wiring is as simple as matching the colors between the adapter and the stereo. There will be a blue and an orange wire on the adapter that you don't use. The orange is for radio dimming ( most cheaper radios don't have this), and the blue is for power antenna, I think. Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
also , on my 92 d150 my factory radio would only work when hitting a large bump, i found out the ground was bad , never traced down the bad factory ground , but made a new one now my radio works fne, now time to move on to the blown factory speakers :D

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
According to the above wiring diagram the radio is grounded thru the chassis or outside case. Turn the radio on and take a jumper wire from a good ground source and touch rhe radio chassis ands see if it sounds off.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
none of the buttons work on it right now so i can't actually turn it on but when i get it back from the shop i'll take a look at it and see what i can find. I just dont know how i'm going to be able to find out which ground it is.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
NoPavemntNoProb said:
none of the buttons work on it right now so i can't actually turn it on but when i get it back from the shop i'll take a look at it and see what i can find. I just dont know how i'm going to be able to find out which ground it is.

Do the illumination lights come on at night?

The ground I am talking about is to the chassis or metal case of the entire radio.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the clock comes on but none of the other illumination lights do. i cant figure out where that ground is on the chassis but I'll take a look again this weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.