DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking through this site and tried to find a thread that had to do with Radiator Fluid but couldn't find one ... apologies if I'm asking a question that was already answered ...

I have a 2005 5.7 D and I'm thinking about flushing my radiator this weekend. Any suggestions for a good brand of Radiator Fluid to use?

What is the best strategy to flush? Should I disconnect the lower hose and drain that way or use the petcock?

Is there a better method to flush the system?

Also, how much Fluid is needed?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Power Aficionado
1,823 Posts
Use the Mopar coolant or the equivalent ethylene-glycol base coolant with organic corrosion inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology).

FILL VOLUMES
DESCRIPTION SPECIFICATION
Engine Metric Standard
3.7L 15.4 16.2 qts.- to the middle of the cold fill range
4.7L 15.4L 16.2 qts.
5.7L 15.4L 16.2 qts.

Strategy...depends on how big of a mess you want to make. take the radiator cap off and use the petcock to drain the fluid into a container BIG enough to take it all ;) . that will get you started.

Close the petcock, use your hose or whatever to fill the system back up. Put the cap back on. Run the engine until the radiator fan starts to turn, let it run about 2 minutes beyond that. then shut it off.

Careful not to burn yourself, drain the system again. use the hose and fill it again. run the engine until the fan comes on. drain again.

now with it empty, add distilled water and run the engine again until the fan comes on. Drain the system again.

fill will distilled water again and run the engine until the fan comes on. Drain the system.

If you didn't get pre-mixed antifreeze then mix 2.5 gallons of antifreeze to 2.5 gallons distilled water in a big tub. (or 1 gallon to 1 gallon in a tub) essentially you need 4 gallons 6.4 oz of total "mix". Check the mixture with the antifreeze gauge. Adjust as necessary. Add the new fluid to the system through the radiator until full. Then add your mix to the reservoir to the full line. (I like to make 5 gallons total and have a gallon as a spare. )

Leave the cap off and start the engine and wait......as air escapes add more mix to the radiator. Don't forget to squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses periodically to help coax air bubbles out.

After you can't add any more mix take it for a short drive. Get back home let it cool and check the levels of the reservoir and the radiator. Add fluid if needed.

I hope that helps. that is the process I use when I flush a system. Might be overkill, but it works for me.

here's a diagram for anyone curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.