DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to simply test if the cap is good, and what PSI the stock cap is?

· Registered
827 Posts
stock should be 18 psi. any garage should have a pressure tester. takes about three seconds to test. why not just replace it? should be 10 bucks.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine says 16psi. Is that incorrect?

· Registered
71 Posts
My stocker had said 16 psi as well... I switched to a 20 psi a couple years ago...

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did it make a difference in cooling performance? My truck likes to run a little hot. It doesn't overheat but it runs little over the half mark on hot days.

· Registered
3,712 Posts
Pressure of the cap does not affect the temperature it runs at. It changes the boiling point. Note if the system is not designed to operate at higher pressures, it is not a good idea to get a higher pressure cap. Components can burst.

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
if you guys want to run cooler check into a 180 degree t-stat and some water wetter

· Registered
3,712 Posts
Simply changing to a 180 degree thermostat is not going to mean it is going to run any cooler. The thermostat only sets the lower limit, not how hot it ultimately gets. How hot it get depends on how much heat the engine is generating and how well the cooling system is able to get rid of it.

· Registered
827 Posts
neil f is correct(sorry rock) although water wetter WILL/MAY help. the idea behind it is to provide better heat transfer between coolant and metal, absorbing more in the engine and also dissipating more as it transfers through the rad. if one is running 210, it doesn't matter when the thermostst openED (180, 195,205) they're hotter than that already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.