8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its a 99 grand caravan 3.8
ok the fans stopped working
tested the fans they work fine
replaced relay
coolant sensor is fine
now the stumped part
after the relay where the plug plugs into the y harness to the fans there's solid 12 volt...and solid ground
but at the plugs on the fans no 12 volt
i tested the wires they are clean and solid signal goes through
but i can power the fans by hard wire through the same plug on the y harness to the fans.
even dicoed the plug at the y harness and wired the 2 plugs together in case of connecting issues..still nothing
what can i possabley be missing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ummm hate to say this but..that is the relay which is controlled by the ecm
and yes replaced it..turned out it was just another part of the ecm going out...so toggle switched the fans

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's not a standard electromechanical relay. Referred to as a "controller" in documentation, so it's six of one, half a dozen of another. These things are notorious for overheating and melting the plug/harness. A toggle switch is a bad idea for a lot of reasons, starting with the fact that most toggle switches are not rated for the kind of current required here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true but i didnt toggle the 12 volt i wanted to keep the fuse in the fuse box and didnt tap the hard ground. i tapped the wire coming from the ecm to the relay. (since my ecm is slowly going out one thing at a time) all it is a ground (ground relay is on, no ground relay is off). i still used a single 12 gauge with a 30amp toggle and hooked off the body inside ground...more then enough for that. and only need to turn the fans on when ac is on or in stop and go traffic.. so its all good...it actually works quite well
now if i were to tap the 12 volt with a toggle yes thats where the issue can start. and where alot of people make the mistake. and usually because they used the wrong wire and such.....thats whats nice about relays that turn on and off by a ground connection...makes it soooo much easier

1 - 5 of 5 Posts