DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew what would happen if you launched in 4x4 hi and while you were in gear accelerating you put it back into 4x2hi. Could this damage anything?

·
"TRUCKIN"
269 Posts
yea, the transfercase..........you could destroy the gears

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
You would probably not do any damage if you dont turn the front wheels. PT4WD can function on the pavement for straight line travel, but I wouldn't do it often.

In PT4WD the front and rear driveshafts are locked together. This will cause driveline binding if you turn the vehicle because the front and rear wheels will not be turning the same speed. If traveling straight, there is little potential for binding, however if you have tires that have slightly different diameters (different inflation levels, different loading, etc), you could have some minor binding.

I dont think you would get any benefit in a race by using PT4WD versus FT4WD. You may see a slight benefit if comparing PT4WD with 2WD since PT4WD would prevent the tires from breaking loose in a hard accel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
While I am a little scared at the idea of you even suggesting this, at the fear of leaving a pile of metal shavings on the pavement.....

I dont believe the 4x4 will turn itself on whilst under great diress.... as in, while under extreme acceleration.
Someone posted this a while ago, and wanted to know if he could switch back to 4x2 while still accelerating, I dont think it can be done. Computer is too smart for that.

·
"TRUCKIN"
269 Posts
my computer will let, i have done it once, and it was doin 4mph in the snow, of course i let off, but it didnt stop me from goin to 2x4 then 4x4

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well as I have a 97 its not up to the computer because I have a manual selector for the transfer case. So I can do as I want I just dont know how the parts will like it.

·
--> UNITY <--
2,417 Posts
I have not yet done this myself. But, the big dog deisels that have there brains blown out, i.e. cpu, exhuast, turbo, etc. luanch in 4x4 to keep the 1000+ power they have to the ground with out just spinning them. I read this in a good article in four wheeler magizine. They luanch in 4x4, but then take it out of it and where running very impressive numbers - but they also have very impressive power. So I would only do this if your RREALLY need the extra traction to handle the grunt of your truck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.