DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right guys, ran my 2000 Ram QC sb 4x4 last night. Same track as always slighly worse conditions (air) than my previous passes. My best previous pass during the middle of April was a [email protected] For last nights attempts I removed the spare tire (approx 50 lbs or more) and removed the factory clutch fan. I thought the weight savings alone would get me into the 16.50's but it wasn't to be. My best pass was a [email protected] Yes the speed was up very slightly, but the run was slower everywhere except for the last 320 feet. While I already mentioned that the air wasn't quite as good, I would have thought that the weight loss plus the lower drag of the cooling fan would have shown an improvement. Traction, or the lack of, was not a factor. I have read many posts talking about replacing the cooling fan with an electrical alternative. My opinion is that if you can do it effectively for under about 150 bucks go for it. Just don't expect a big improvement from doing it. As for the losing the additional weight of the spare tire, draw your own conclusions. Any thoughts guys???

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
The air quality is probably what made the difference. When I went to the track it was 80F out and slowly cooling down. After my 3rd run the temp was down to around 75F and my speeds/times did increase. The humidity also makes a big difference.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yeah, I can tell my truck always runs better at night, than say 12am during a hot day.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I meant 12pm, my bad.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
You got any mods to the motor?
Not bad times

·
Illinois Boy
1,018 Posts
id love to run high 14's, doubt that is anywhere possible to stay above 13mpg city These things are slow!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
v10SPORT, my mods are Hypertech powerprogrammer III on high octane setting, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back system, K&N FIPK, and Fastman 50mm TB. My goal is high 15's without NOS which seems realistic without selling the farm. I had planned to add an electric cooling fan to help me get there but as you can see from my original post that doesn't seem like a good mod for the money. May choose a lighter aftermarket stainless cooling fan as a replacement and go with the ASP underdrive crank pully. Had been considering the underdrive pully anyway but didn't want to go with electric cooling fan and underdrive pully at the same time, seems like trouble waiting to happen. Was also considering 1.7rr's, but after further thought, don't think they will give me the gains I'm looking for. Didn't really want to get into the motor though if I didn't have too, to accomplish my goal. But now a camshaft swap seems more likely. JBA headers are my next likely mod along with a high flow cat.

I am curious as to why your truck is so heavy. I know these things are heavy already but mine came in at 5400 lbs which is alot less than 7500.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice times. I'm running 17.Os - 17.teens. Thats with the ARE cap. (about 250lbs). Good air, and I'm 16.90s.

I'd leave the stock fan alone. I've read here, that a lot of engineering went into the thermo clutch design, as to not waste energy.

·
Registered
434 Posts
CoreySS

I was running 14.5's in my lifted 96 Extended cab with 33's on it,and I got around 14mpg.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
There is a guy on here with a 5.9 3G he is running real good times look him up to get ideas. His name is Gouge

·
Illinois Boy
1,018 Posts
Coop said:
CoreySS

I was running 14.5's in my lifted 96 Extended cab with 33's on it,and I got around 14mpg.

how the hell did u manage that, i currently get 10city 14.8 highway stock. Thought about a M1 intake and edelbrock alum heads, but im sure id say byby for 10mpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CoreySS I'm with ya on that. I can only think of a few ways somebody is going to run those kinda times in a truck like that. Forced Induction, NOS, or one hell of a stout naturally aspirated mill or combination thereof. Certainly not basic bolt on stuff.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was running a really well built 408 at the time.I have a engine management system called a Unichip that can be custom programed for any setup.It must be done on a dyno though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Coop, sounds interesting. Had never heard of unichip (and I thought I had heard of just about everything). Having to tune on a dyno for every combination sounds kinda involved, though it would certainly have your combination spot on. What kinda numbers did the dyno show??

·
Registered
434 Posts
At the time I ran a 240hp and 350tq on the Mustang dyno.

The dyno I use for tuning is a Mustang dyno they are very accurate so the numbers are always lower.As an example I ran the same combo at another dyno shop after it was tuned in and hit 325hp/420tq.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not in a lifted 4x4 on 33's.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'll let you know.

I'm still waiting for my new blower.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.