DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just bought a 1999 honda civic for my main car. so my durango is going to become more of a weekend race kind of truck. it different and i like the idea. so my first question is that if i completly gutted the interior how much weight do you think i could lose. i want to keep 5 of the seats but replace the front 2 with racing seats. im also going to lower it 2 inches and go with some 19 inch racing wheels and tires. i love this truck and dont want to sell it so why not make it an import smasher. lol. so yeah. any ideas on lightening up the truck? i want to keep it 4x4 for the all time 4x4 option. but becides that im pretty much down for what ever. im also planning on stroking the 318 in there now to 390. but the weight is what im really worried about. any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
281 Posts
haha..yeah do u know what your talking about? the last thing you should EVER be worried about it weight and lowering it haha. find power first then worry about that other stuff. Unless you looking to HAVE TO cut the weight for a few 1/10ths of a second..i wouldnt worry about that stuff at all. But im sure your durango is in NO SHAPE to be drag racing just yet.

and let alone after reading your sig. looks like you went a totally different way with it already.

· Registered
249 Posts
Last time at the track I removed my 2nd and 3rd row seats, and the scale at the track showed that I dropped 250 lbs. Not sure that is totally accurate, but I'll take it!

· WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,433 Posts
C'mon, Bill, he was told they were racing wheels!

· Registered
182 Posts
durangodad said:
Yea, sell your D to someone who cares about it and buy a bag of rice and stuff the honda with it! I have Dodge, GM, Ford in my driveway, but never any rice!!!
I don't think you should sell it, But i agree about the no ricers part buy American and only American :gr_patrio .Have fun with the project though and I would like to see some pics along the way

· Registered
167 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Well yeah, losing weight and shaving a few 1/10s of a second will be important, but yeah, not until you take care of other things. Pretty much everything you'd do to make a high performance engine. Exhaust, intake, cam, stroke it, headwork, ect.. Then ditch the sorry stock trans. You need different gearing in the rear diff too, and i guess the front to match or however that works. I believe it is 3.55 stock and thats fine and dandy for regular driving, but you need something in the high 4's maybe. I think the all time 4x4 will slow you down and if you're lowering it and using it for drag races, you don't really have any use for 4x4. 19" rims no, stick with 16/17" but go for aluminum to save weight.

Now back to the weight. That depends on how comfortable you want to be whist blasting down the 1/4 mile. Losing the AC system will lighten it, gutting interior, heck, who needs power windows and locks either. Pretty much take off whatever you dont find necessary to you or the performance of the truck.

· Burnin' gas & Haulin' Azz
182 Posts
lift it

so your going to rip out all the interior to save a couple pounds in plastic and carpet? then put a 390 in it with some racing wheels? sounds like you should go the other way and lift it up with some mudders. then run your rice car over.....

· Registered
132 Posts
Well, he said "racing wheels".... But dang you all forgot about the MOST important thing....... CHROME! Each chrome piece on the engine gains at least 5HP per part... Chrome also reduces airflow and produces less drag on the engine.

· Registered
381 Posts
pyro1711 said:
Well, he said "racing wheels".... But dang you all forgot about the MOST important thing....... CHROME! Each chrome piece on the engine gains at least 5HP per part... Chrome also reduces airflow and produces less drag on the engine.

RIGHT ON!!!

I knew my Chrome "Racing Wheels" made it faster, all my friends told me it looked faster....

Racing wheels ROCK!!!!

But seriously, here.

If your going to actually race the thing you need to GUT it..

Go with some lite forged Weld Wheels and some slicks, you had better have beefed up the drive train though or your going to be sitting on the side of the track with broken pieces falling off.

Then there's the engine.. How much money do you have???

If all you want to do is have fun than get the wheels/tires mentioned above and have fun, just know your not going to be fast. your stock Honda will probably be faster.
Good luck

· PAID OFF!
1,248 Posts
This is his sig

Sputnic_bmx said:
4wheel drive, 2 inch t/s lift, 31'' BF Mud Terrains,Flowmaster super40, Custom infinity sound system with 12" punch woofer, Thinking about maybe a 3inch body lift, and really want a custom snorkel. also looking for a good used lift kit untill i can rake the cash for a SAS.
Sounds like you are investin alot of money into something that you are gonna be doin the opposite of??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.