DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Seriously.
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering whether or not the front coil springs are different for v8 and v6. looking to pick up a set of r/t springs for the front to get a little drop, and put blocks in the rear. would they work with a v6 2wd? i've seen drop springs for dakotas advertised as all the same, is it the same with stock ones?

·
Registered
75 Posts
your v6 is much lighter then an r/t, those coils would likely raise your front end slightly

·
Registered
522 Posts
I dont know if it will raise it....but I know it wont lower it. We just did this to my buddies 3.7 QC Dakota....the coil springs from the R/T are actually shorter than the stockers off of his, but there isnt enough weight to compress them. He has about 4.5-5in of gap from the top of the tire to the fender flair with them...I am pretty darned sure that is about what he had before the swap....and btw he is running 20's on his so the gap might be worse depending on what tires size you are runnin.
The good news is that the handling has firmed up quite a bit and the ride is good. :)
I have seen several guys cut 1 turn off of a coil for a drop...this would likely work for your application, but I would do some checking first. This might well be the route that my buddy goes since he already has the money spent on the R/T suspension.
I know Brian from Slammed1Suspensions (S1S) does this for the Rams....he is on the boards here....might wanna look him up and ask some questions.

When I lowered my 4.7 QC I just ordered the Hotchkis front coils and rear leafs....yeah...they were a bit expensive, but they worked exactly as advertised and gave me a 3in gap on the front and a 4in gap in the back....that worked out to be a 2in drop in front and almost 4in in the back.
There are other options out there that are cheaper....and they work. So just do your homework and see what works for what you want outta your truck.

·
Seriously.
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome, thanks. i did talk to Brian in the past, he mentioned cutting a little bit of the coil too, since im only looking for an inch or so in the front, and i plan on just picking up some universal 2" blocks for the rear, and possibly new shocks all around. i dont want to slam my truck by any means, although i would like to, but it is still my snowboarding vehicle in the winter and motocross hauler in the summer, so i still need a little bit of suspension to get in some rough spots. now if it was just a pavement pounder, and i had the money, i'd wanna go about 2/3 with air ride to go lower when i want :cool:

i've got 18x9 MB motoring smooths and nitto 404 255/55x18s, so about a 28.5" tire, so i figure a few inches back and and inch or so front will make it just about right :)

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.