DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up the 4.56's & True Trac and am a couple rounds into changing pinion depth shims. I'm going to reduce shim again from about .029" to .013" this time; the small change I made last time didn't amount to much.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
I'm not a expert in any way but i've been involved with a couple R&P changes with the 9.25. The way I read that is backlash looks correct and a thinner pinion shim would be required.

·
Registered
612 Posts
1st pic looks better than the 2nd. 2nd pic definitely needs thinner pinion shim.
The second one is exactly how mine was set up and it made lots of noise.
You do not want a "flat" edge on your pattern toward either the top (face) or bottom (root).
Having an "oval" pattern is much more critical than the pattern being centered toe to heel.
Being centered top (face) to bottom (root) with an "oval" pattern would be ideal for consistent gear mesh and strength.

I am not an expert, but that is what I learned, the hard and expensive way, through someone doing it wrong. I still have to have mine redone because my gears were ruined (scorched and scored) from the pinion being set to deep (shim too thick), causing gears to heat up, resulting in the demise of the pinion bearing.

Please post some more pics after you do your shim change. Very interested in seeing how clean you can get it set up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you do to get rid of the 'flat' part of the mesh? I've heard from others that an oval pattern is desirable also, but all the 'acceptable mess patterns' I see in service guides show patterns with both a flat top and bottom. So I'm getting confused. And I think I'm using too much paint.

The original 2 pictures above are with the same shim, .029.
Below are pictures with shims of .033 and .025. The .033 is first and it looks pretty good to me. The second is .025 and was too high on the tooth in my opinion. What do you think?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Go to this link it has an excellent write up on what pattern you need and how to achieve it. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billa...Ring and Pinion installation instructions.pdf

Make sure you are very consistent checking your backlash because it does affect your pattern in a very fine adjustment way. Just make sure it is in within specs. I think you are on the right track at around the .033 The only TRUE test is to get it as best you can, record it with pics like your doing, put it together and drive it. If it's quiet your good, if it's not you know what you have to do. Sounds like a cop out, but that's why they charge you out the ears to do it, because if it's wrong, they know they have a lot of work to do to fix it.
If you're 4x4, concentrate on the rears. They will get the most use and therefore will be the most noticeable if you have any noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.