DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing plugs this weekend and was wondering if there is a specific torque that they should be tightened down?

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
I just did the plugs in my 05 hemi, and I toqued them to 11 ft. lbs. I believe. I went with that because that what was used in the write up in the how to section.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
How the heck did you fit a torque wrench in there with out using a universal?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I just checked out the how to section and he is using a universal joint with the torque wrench. A torque wrench like the craftsman one he is using has a level of accuracy based on the head of the torque wrench being placed directly over the object being torqued.

So if you set the torque wrench to 11 ft lbs and use a universal that places the head of the torque wrench somewhere other than directly over the spark plug in the same line, the torque wrench is no longer releasing within the designed specs.

I do not use a torque wrench on these plugs. I use 1/16 turn past initial contact which is also the instructions printed on each spark plug box. I also do not use anti-seize which also affects torque readings.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
I used a universal. I'm just gonna assume that the little bit that its innacurate is better than me overtightening them:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.