DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I don't own a PW truck but wanted one when I picked up my 04 2500 (I bought it a couple years ago). The deal was I really wanted a QC/8' bed and found out one was not offered with the PW package. So I bought an 04 2500 Hemi 4x4 with the equipment I wanted. Here's my question; I want to duplicate the stance of the PW on my truck so it sits the same way that the PW does stock. What are the differences in the suspensions? Is it just a wheel/tire combo or does the PW run different front springs? (they seem so much higher than my 2500). I am planning on upgrading the tires to BFG AT/TA KO's in the 285/70/17 anyway soon. Any info is really appreciated.

Thanks

·
warlock06
551 Posts
i have all stock suspension from my 06 wagon, front springs =2" rear leafs=1.8" 4 bilstein shocks, trackbar, steering system control arms, all of it... $500 its yours, will work something on shipping ord delivery

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a ton.....will think it over, right now I have the wheels/tires and was looking for info on suspension to decide whether to duplicate the PW suspension or to go cheapo and do a Kore Recon kit.

Info helps a lot, thank you.

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
Kore say's the HP kit is close to the Power Wagon setup. I went with the Kore Recon on my truck. It's got a pretty good stance, and it rides great.

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kore is NOT CHEAPO

Hahaha I know. Wasn't meaning to imply it was junk. Just easier/quicker than ripping apart the front to install control arms and steering components. It would be cheaper to buy and add to the existing suspension than buying OEM PW parts and changing them all out, even though yours are a good deal. Really I was wondering if the only difference was different height coils; I don't know if the rears are different than what I have, my truck was originally ordered (by the orig. owner) with heavier duty (from what the dealer told me) 3500 series rear springs because it towed a fifth wheel trailer.

Looked at the levelling kits and the Kore kit seems the best and most thought out.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Read my sig for the diff.

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The PW may share alot of parts with the 2500 HD. but has alot of differences. There are different reinforcement parts that hold on the cab, box ect. If you put the 2 side by side and compare every detail you can see alot of extras done to the pw to reinforce the underside (in preperation for the skid plates) and many other areas. I wish I could do a complete comparison sometime. It would be neat to have the complete assembly diagrams with parts for both versions. It's more than just the aparent axles lockers ect. Something tells me that if the axle plant's shutting down the PW is likely under the gun. Automakers tend to ween out models that don't make up the majority of their sales. It's all bottom line. Look at the Pontiac Fiero. Lasted for 4 years and when they finally got it right, they canned it. GM let the fiero go into production because it brought their overall epa numbers down based on a total average for their models. I plan on keeping My PW untill it falls completly apart.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
It is not shutting down- it's been closed for a year and up for sale. They just are making them somewhere else.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Power Wagon uses springs that have MORE arch and less spring rate in the rear, and taller coils with a lower spring rate in the front. IMHO if you are looking for a 2" lift, your BEST bet is the PW stuff. Warlock has what you need. If you want it a little taller than that, you would be better off with Carli, or Thuren's suspension stuff. KORE is good, but Thuren and Carli ar better. Check out the dodge trucks xtreme dot com website. There is a ton of good 3rd gen Dodge suspension infor on that forum. Murf

·
PWOC #078
186 Posts
Someone here (ldgregory, I think) said even the frame of the PW has a different part number than a 2500 frame. That being said, make sure all of the parts will line up.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
yup, in my opinion the power wagon stuff is the way to go and I don't see how a KORE kit or any other would be any easier to do? Regardless you changing springs etc and it doesn't matter who's your putting in they install the same way.

Also, My suspension is softer than carli's. Now my only reference for that was standing in the bed loading up the truck I noticed it wasn't rocking back and forth much. apparently I wasn't compressing the springs at all just the tires. Now this was a diesel so the I know the springs are stiffer but only the fronts. Also Our tires are D rated BFG at's so their much softer than the E rated toyo mt's and I don't know how much my tires flex when I stand in the bed (I can't see them) I don't know how the thuren coils compare but apparently his rear springs are so soft most people don't use them cuz you can barley put groceries back there anymore ;D

But keep in mind all of those systems were designed for the desert and I imagine purposefully made stiffer than the power wagons with were made for maximum suspension flex, they are all softer than normal HEMI springs though (as far as I know) Also to the best of my knowledge you only gain about 1" in the front and I don't think anything in the rear, compared to the OEM power wagon setup. KORE does make a taller system though, 4" or 6" something like that but it doesn't sound like that's what your looking for and again that would still be a stiffer ride than the power wagon

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everyone and all the great replies. You guys are very knowledgeable and it's apparrent that PW owners know their product. I have two goals in looking at this; one, increase the ride height slightly to improve appearance (eliminate the rake) while ensuring enough clearance for slightly larger tires (285/70/17). Also I was hoping to actually firm the front up some because I run an 8' commercial snowplow in the winter and the weight of it squashes the stock springs down quite a bit (surprisingly) so if the PW suspension rides higher unloaded but is designed to compress MORE under a load, it's not really going to help me much in my situation. I was under the impression that the PW suspension would be stiffer, not softer(more compression), but I guess I didn't take into account the need to move the wheels so much more off-road. Sounds like I may be looking at a levelling kit or/and substituting the CTD springs for my application and adding better shocks (maybe Bilsteins). I don't really go off road so having a good functioning off road suspension is not really necessary.

I have to say, those Power Wagons are pretty nice. When I saw them in 05 (model year) I can say it is probably the best looking truck I had ever seen since I fell in love with my 97 1500 years ago.

Thanks again for all of the info, I have even more to think about now.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
yup if your plowing you dont want these springs, not unless your gonna add air bags or something to compensate but that would be allot of expense for nothing in your case.

Since your just looking for height you can probably just get some cheapo skyjacker springs or something, I don't know how stiff they are or anything though. Diesel springs would get you some height since you probably wouldn't compress them at all :D i don't know how much lift you would get but I imagine with the plow on it would pretty much ride like a diesel without it. However on the same ticket without the plow I'm sure it would be very rough.

Doesn't dodge make a snow plow prep kit just for this reason? again I don't know if you gain any height but if not you could just throw on a leveling kit

·
warlock06
551 Posts
check in to it, a co-worker has atruck with the plow prep, its a transfer case skid plate and a 160 amp alternator, no springs, kinda lame

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
huh, guess that won't help than. Is that on a HEMI equipped truck, or a diesel? I guess they feel standard springs and strong enough

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
check in to it, a co-worker has atruck with the plow prep, its a transfer case skid plate and a 160 amp alternator, no springs, kinda lame

You got it. This truck has the snowplow package and the springs are no different than any other 2500 from what I can see. The big difference from what I can tell is the alternator and not much else. I have a Boss Super Duty 8' trip edge plow (very nice compared to the Fishers I had before) but it's a heavy SOB and seems to crush the front down at least 2" when it is raised. Not fun driving on the bumpy New England frost heaved roads all winter long...tends to bottom out too often (this plow is the one recommended by Boss for my truck, not the 7.5' one).

I may send a note over to Kore and see what they think about using the CTD kit instead of the Hemi kit on my truck considering my plow. The actual weight on the plow is 803 lbs. dry including wiring and lights.

On a side note....I like the Kore kit, but looked at the lower cost stuff like Daystar (those little donut spacers). Are they any good or are they what they appear to be.......(personally if I'm going to spend the money I'd likely get the Kore kit)

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
I think it's a waste of money to buy something like Daystar. You aren't going to get any ride quality out of them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts