DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Collie's09
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this have been done a thousand times already but I want to make sure I do it correctly so I have a couple questions for those of you with experience.

1. What brand of plastic light tint is the best and where is the best place to buy it? (VHT, Nightshades, etc...)

2. I have seen many "Do it yourselfers" tinted tail lights that are hazy and do not look glossy. I absolutely hate this and want to know how this happens and how to prevent it.

3. I only want to lightly smoke my tail lights and 3rd brake light. I know the more coats you put on get it darker but have any of you just smoked yours? and if so how many coats did it take?

4. If spraying a clear coat on top of the tint to get the gloss I desire what brand and type should I buy?

5. If wetsanding is needed. What grit and what is the process, because I have never really wetsanded anything before.

I know this is a lot of questions so thank you in advance to everyone that contributes.

·
TTHA
515 Posts
this will tell you everything you need to know: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246820&highlight=vht

Next time you have a question about something go ahead and check the forum first in the search tab because alot of questions on here have been answered before. If you have any other questions let me know I have used demon-hemi's instructions on my truck and alot of others it works. As for smoking compared to blacking them out I would go with 2 coats on yours

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
I know you are looking to do it yourself, and for fear of letting the cat out of the bag too much, we will be offering our tinted tail lights at 50% off beginning Black Friday and Ending COB Cyber Monday. This comes out to just a little more than what it would cost you just for the supplies, and you would have a professionally tinted set. Here are a few pictures of a recent set. If you're interested, shoot us a message and stayed tuned in the Unique Coatings forum for the official sale with all items on sale throughout the weekend.

·
Collie's09
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mbueno:

Thanks! He didn't specify when at what time he used the 2000 grit paper. Was that during the sanding of the clear coat?

cbrenn71:

PM sent

·
TTHA
515 Posts
yes he sanded the clear coat with the 2000 grit

·
Registered
875 Posts
May do a light coat on mine this week

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I've always used VHT nightshades. until recently got pulled over for tinted tails. So I went and picked up a set of go recons tinted..

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've always used VHT nightshades. until recently got pulled over for tinted tails. So I went and picked up a set of go recons tinted..
Are the tinted recons considered DOT approved. I can't seem to find anything on their website that says that. I also VHT'd my tails and want a similar look without the police hassle.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Are the tinted recons considered DOT approved. I can't seem to find anything on their website that says that. I also VHT'd my tails and want a similar look without the police hassle.
Yes they are dot approved. I have been pulled over for window tint and asked the trooper if they were legal and he said "yeah I just was stopping you for tint"

·
Victims arent we all
1,826 Posts
usually you can go to a custom paint and body shop and they can smoke them and give them that deep wet look,,,i had my old lights on my scion done this way and it came out almost to perfect the color matched the shaded tails perfect,,,it was only 50bucks,,they do a mix of clear and black,,to get the shade you want then smooth sand it then paint clear till it looks extremely wet

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes they are dot approved. I have been pulled over for window tint and asked the trooper if they were legal and he said "yeah I just was stopping you for tint"

No smoked lights are legal in the state of Texas no mater what the manufacturer says. I've had to deal with it before in court and lost, and my lights were Recon. I fought the fact that the law below states a "device" that impairs effectiveness is what is said, not a smoke colored lens. I was showed another law that said the tail lights have to be red. The prosecutor then said my tail lights were a non factory installed device that altered my vehicle from its stock DOT approved form. I tried and tried to get around this but the judge ruled I was in violation of DOT standards. I had to pay court cost and fines to the tune of $380 and prove that I returned my lights back to its factory lighting.

From the Vehicle Lighting section of the Texas Department of Public Safety:
"As a general comment, any device that impairs the required effectiveness of headlamps, taillamps, reflectors, etc is prohibited. The lights, both front and rear, are made by the manufacturer to meet this safety standard. An alternate or additional material, particularly something dark, would impair its effectiveness."

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Wow

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
So now I'm notsure I'm gonna do this. I had planned on doing this after installing a light bar and some backup lights.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Anybody sand a set of 08 tails? That looks like its going to be a pita.
I was thinking I could do it without sanding them. If I do them just wondering I've seen some others that looked alright but I dont want umm to look crappy cause of not sanding them.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
a friend of mine used paper tint and a heat gun on his heads/tails... glossy look and if you get pulled over, you can just peel it off

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.