DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm starting to work a little bit on my 72 duster and i have a question. I am going to put a manual steering box in it. I have power steering. So the question is, is it just swap the boxes out and call it a day or do i have to modify or change then steering column? Or would i be better off just looping the lines together?

oh and does anyone know where i can find new grill...my brother smashed the near mint original i had with a baskettball...it was an accident but he didn't tell me he just sorta hid it!

· Originating Member
33,474 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but here's some numbers that may help with the swap

Your 72 Duster's power steering gearbox part number should be 2948991- its the same one that was used on 72 Cuda's, Challengers, Charger's, Coronet's, Dart's and Valiants ...

The Manual Steering gearbox for a 1972 is 2537347

It was used on 72 Cuda's Cuda's, Challengers, Charger's, Coronet's, Dart's and Valiants ... UNLESS they had a 6 cylinder

not the exact answer you wanted, but hope this info helps some ...

· Registered
1,454 Posts
i can't remember for the life of me but there was a company that rebuilds steering boxes (steer and gear maybe) that have an adapter for the steering shaft to make up the difference in length between the manual boxes and power steering boxes so you can still use your factory steering column.

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help guys...brian i'll have to look that up and see what i find! ram man that info is a huge help...that enables me to find the right one!

· Originating Member
33,474 Posts
Brian_RO said:
i can't remember for the life of me but there was a company that rebuilds steering boxes (steer and gear maybe) that have an adapter for the steering shaft to make up the difference in length between the manual boxes and power steering boxes so you can still use your factory steering column.
are you talking about the Feel Firm guys ?

http://www.firmfeel.com/a.htm

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well if i stick with power steering will any 318 power steering brackets work? i'm thinkin it may be cheaper and easier for me to stick with power steering since all the parts are there and all i need are the correct brackets.

· Registered
1,454 Posts
demondreams2005 said:
well if i stick with power steering will any 318 power steering brackets work? i'm thinkin it may be cheaper and easier for me to stick with power steering since all the parts are there and all i need are the correct brackets.
demondreams2005, you may want to refresh my memory abit on your swap. but as many small block power steering cars that were built, it would be indeed cheaper to keep the power steering box and just find the correct pump for the engine at a swap meet or on line.

RAM MAN, that's who i was thinking about and here's that adapter. although it is a bit pricey.
http://www.firmfeel.com/column_adapt.htm

· MYTYT
1,514 Posts
What Grill are you looking for?? Lots of them on ebay right now, even a couple of sharktooths'... but get ready to break out the checkbook!!! They are very proud of them!

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brian_RO said:
demondreams2005, you may want to refresh my memory abit on your swap. but as many small block power steering cars that were built, it would be indeed cheaper to keep the power steering box and just find the correct pump for the engine at a swap meet or on line.

RAM MAN, that's who i was thinking about and here's that adapter. although it is a bit pricey.
http://www.firmfeel.com/column_adapt.htm
brian i looked up interchange and i found that the power steering pump i have is the same one that is used on the 318's. so all i have to do is buy a set of mounts for the 318.

RAM MAN i will definately keep it updated...i only seem to work on it during the winter months but it is now my primary project...i have a ford ranger that i have been working on and i have come to determine that.......FORDS SUCK!!!!

bigmacdak i'm just looking for a standard grill...not the sharktooth grill

· Registered
1,454 Posts
brian i looked up interchange and i found that the power steering pump i have is the same one that is used on the 318's. so all i have to do is buy a set of mounts for the 318.
demondreams2005, that is good info to know. those brackets shouldn't be that hard to find since there was so many 318 power steering cars made over the years.

i see you are from Stow, Ohio. several years ago i did some trading on a car from a fellow in that area.

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just bought a set of mounts off ebay for 30 shipped and a couple pulleys for like 10. so i'm slowly but slowly finding the right parts.

there are a lot of mopars up here...the guy i bought the 318 off of actually has a bug building full of mopars! what part of ohio are you from? my car is actually stored in tuscarawas county.

· Registered
1,454 Posts
demondreams2005 said:
i just bought a set of mounts off ebay for 30 shipped and a couple pulleys for like 10. so i'm slowly but slowly finding the right parts.

there are a lot of mopars up here...the guy i bought the 318 off of actually has a bug building full of mopars! what part of ohio are you from? my car is actually stored in tuscarawas county.
sounds like you made some good scores on those parts and it looks like it is coming togeather for you.

that fellow i sold the 1964 plymouth to first name was jerry but for the life of me i can't remember what his last name was. it has been several years ago when we did some trading on it and the last i seen he got rid of the car on ebay. it was a rough 2 door hard top 6 cylinder car, white in color.

i live at the very southern tip of the state where ohio, kentucky and west virgina all meet in a town called ironton.

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

this is an 8 3/4 diff right?

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok i thought so...i bought it off ebay for 47 bux with 4.10 gears! the guy listed it wrong, he listed it as and 8 1/4 center section!

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yep i actually found it on accident lookin for a complete 8 1/4 and found this and dad told me it was an 8 3/4 so i bid on it and apparently i was the only one to notice it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.