DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, 79 w400 w/ 360 4bbl, changed the plugs,wires,cap and rotor, but seem to have picked up a tapping and possibly running like i have 2 wires backwards. What would be the firing order, and what order do i hook to dist cap?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just reran all brake lines , now i'll have to pound the foot dent back out, you really have to put ya foot down when them rubber flex lines go out on the brakes....makes it interesting!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hmmmmm

Ok, i am by far not a mechanic...but i must be doing something wrong.

Question 1 : If plugs are improperly gapped, ie:too much....will it affect how she runs? At idle?

Question 2: Now that i have removed all the wires on the dist: how do i find where to start?
I tried a couple configs...starting at 8 being in relation to the latch in the photo above

We are having a heat wave here in Wisconsin in the upper 20's and low 30's...so trying to git r dun before mother nature comes to her senses!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It will run badly and burn up the Distrib/rotor contacts

Start at #1 (which in most cases will be between 1 & 2 in Bruce's pic) and work in fire order or one side or the other. # 2 wire will be your longest then #1 then #4 etc...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK , So if i remove the cap, the rotor should be pointing to 1?
And i am assuming that "front" would be to me, with 1 on my right closest and 2 on my left closest to me

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Usually at TDC (top dead center) the rotor will point to #1 spark plug or the second bolt from front on your intake drivers side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it warmed up a bit here and i figured i'd get off my ass and get the old truck running again! Thanks for all the help! Found TDC, replaced all wires and properly gapped plugs, and off i went.
Next off to buy a new oil pan and tranny pan and change those fluids. So, give me a few more warm days and i'll be back with more questions.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
FYI: Many replacement caps have 2 #1's on them. One is for smallbbocks the other is for bigblocks.
Also the #1 plug wire is usually the longest one on a smallblock. For this reason you should replace it first with the longest new wire then replace the others.... Most intake manifolds have the cylinder #'s, and firing order on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.