DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up all i have a question i changed my gears right when i got my turck lifted, but my friend just got his 2004 ram lifted 6 inches and wont have the money for a better gear ratio. he is running 3:55's and wont have the money for the gears for 5 months so he was wondering if that would cause any probems with the drive train?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
No, just bog down long term I wouldn't do it but short term it should be ok.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Other than kill his gas mileage because he is gonna have to stand on it that much harder to make it move.

·
Registered
32,955 Posts
injoy690 said:
hey whats up all i have a question i changed my gears right when i got my turck lifted, but my friend just got his 2004 ram lifted 6 inches and wont have the money for a better gear ratio. he is running 3:55's and wont have the money for the gears for 5 months so he was wondering if that would cause any probems with the drive train?
It won't hurt anything, but he will lose a lot of low end grunt and like said above his mpg will be hurting because the motor will have to work harder!

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
yeah I ran 39.5's/38's on 3.73's in a Hemi 2500 (because of weight it's equal to 3.55's in a 1500 on 35's/37's I would think) since October and nothing horrible so far, just getting 10mpg

ordered 4.56's yesterday though (go me go me) so next wednesday I'll tell you what my mileage stacks up to with 4.56's with 37.5" tall tires, compared to 3.73's and 37.5" tall tires

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya just keep us posted so we know, i coundlt help him because mine were changed like the same week i got mine lifted so any help would be awsome

·
Registered
697 Posts
33" TIRES AREN'T THAT BIG OF A LEAP, He shouldn't see any problems, Especially with that Hemi, in fact if he does a lot of Highway driving he might get better mileage now than after he changes the gears. The Hemi has the low end grunt to get moving even with big tires. On a smaller vehicle like a 4/6 cylinder toyota, big tires would play hell on the power you are used to feeling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.