DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is another dumb question, I've done some reading but hopefully you guys can help me out. I am a good (ear adjust) mechanic for older carbureted motors but I really am kinda lost on the newer EFI stuff and I don't know alot about code scanning or OBD. From what I can tell you can do a lot with a "chip" that used to involve new cams, bigger carb, aluminum intake.....etc (like I used to do on my older trucks). I have a 2004 Ram 2500 QC/8' bed 4x4 with the 5.7. It is pretty powerful, but being such a heavy truck it could always use more. I use the truck as a daily driver and I snowplow in the winter. Truck is all stock except a Gibson single sided cat-back and K+N filter in the stock airbox. I am looking for a moderate power increase, it's not a drag racer but I would like to feel the difference. Here are my questions;

1. Does anyone make a preset tuner that doesn't have to be programmed? Or are they all "set up by the truck" units?
2. Can the stock computer be flashed instead of installing a tuner?
3. Will adding a tuner void the factory warrantee or are there any that are compatible with warrantee (I have an extended warrantee to 100K-Dodge factory)?
4. How bad of a hit will I take on mileage (I'm sure this depends on how extreme you go)?
5. Are they worth the money? Or am I better off looking at doing a more free flowing exhaust/headers and CAI?
6. Do I need to have it professionally installed? I don't have a code scanner or access to one....I'd have to buy one.

Any information is helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
this will be beat to hell... back and forth... just to let you know for future reference.
i dont have a v8 nor have i bought a progammer... BUT the one out on the market that i have read about and seen good reviews on is the SCT XCal2... get ahold of "HemiFever" he can help u out on SCT... alot of guys will chime in on this soon enough..... this is just my 2 cents.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.