DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace the pigtails on my headlamp since the sockets were burnt up. The aftermarket pigtails I got were to withstand higher wattage but are a 12-gauge wire. The factory harness that I am going to splice into is a 16-gauge wire. Is it ok to solder a larger wire into a smaller wire like that?

· Registered
958 Posts
Yes, but the circuit will only be rated for the 16 awg wire.(12amps) Bigger will never hurt with wire sizing, smaller (too small) causes the wire to heat up and burn up. Why did the old pigtail burn up? Usually electrical connections burn up due to a loose connection.

· Joe E
526 Posts
Above is exactly right. Been an electrician for a while. Hes exactly right.

Make sure you use some shrink wrap or equal to seal up those connections. it only takes a lil bit of moisture to get in there and start corroding those connections.
Joe E.

· Registered
958 Posts
Yeah, I've been an electrician for about 12 years. There is some crazy stuff people will do, but you know what I am talking about.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EBH said:
Yes, but the circuit will only be rated for the 16 awg wire.(12amps) Bigger will never hurt with wire sizing, smaller (too small) causes the wire to heat up and burn up. Why did the old pigtail burn up? Usually electrical connections burn up due to a loose connection.

This thread pertains to my other thread I posted earlier...Check link

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2059888#post2059888

· Registered
3 Posts
I have seen a lot of burnt up plugs and wiring on cars and even bikes the culprit is usually aftermarket headlights, They are higher wattage and run extremely hot. Do you have aftermarket headlights?

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
subaru said:
I have seen a lot of burnt up plugs and wiring on cars and even bikes the culprit is usually aftermarket headlights, They are higher wattage and run extremely hot. Do you have aftermarket headlights?

Nothing has been changed. Sockets and bulbs all OEM.

· Registered
1,628 Posts
when shrink wrapping connections I like to use a little black RTV on the wire then slide the shrink wrap over and heat it---seals up 100% water tight.

· LPG Hemi
2,810 Posts
MegaCabMan said:
when shrink wrapping connections I like to use a little black RTV on the wire then slide the shrink wrap over and heat it---seals up 100% water tight.

This is a great idea!
We have in the UK, shrink wrap, with some kind of resin type stuff already impregnated into the shrink wrap.
When you warm it all up, this stuff oozes out the ends and cools to a sealed, hardened finish.
You might be able to get this stuff in the US???
If not, try MegaCabMan's excellent idea.
Al.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.