DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently began buffing quite a few cars, usually "higher" end cars including a supercharged harley f150, mach 1 mustang, and a jaguar.

now , even though these are fairly new cars (02 and above), some -especially dark colors, have developed those nasty little key scratches near the door handle as well as other fine (but wide) clearcoat scratches.

i am fairly dissapointed with my pads and polishes ability to remove these to my liking.

the following is what i use: a light cut pad along with 3M finnesse-it compound and i follow that up with a polish pad with evercoats finishing glaze.

now, although these give me spectacular results on hairlines and spider webbing and really make the shine pop at you, at the right angles you can still see the clearcoat imperfections.

i'm affraid to use wool buffing pads, and afraid to damage these type of cars with too aggressive of a foam pad or too aggressive of a polish.

what do you suggest for these as far as a pad and polish is concerned?

thanks, and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
410 Posts
cbrenn71,
There are a variety of aggressive pads and polishes available. For the really deep spider webs, I'd suggest SSR3 polish from Poorboys and the Sonus SFX-1 Swirl and Scratch Remover Pad. This is a very aggressive combination so you'll want to be extra very careful when polishing, but this should remove most of, if not all, the really bad spider webbing. Do not hold the buffer stationary for any length of time because you run the risk of 'burning' your paint.

I really don't like the wool pads, they can do more damage than good if not used correctly. Even the more aggresive foam pads are much more forgiving.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Also, I forgot to mention, you probably know this, but for those who read this thread who are not familiar with the polish process, when you polish with an abrasive compound, you are basically sanding your paint. The grit in abrasive polish will remove micro layers of clear coat, so use polishes sparingly. The higher abrasive polish, the more the grit and the more clear coat you will remove. Some deeper scratches in clear coat may not come out without removing too much of your clear coat.

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you know where i can pick these products up other than online?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.