Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I posted this over at dodgeforums, and wanted to give you all a crack at it to so I get the best all around opinions.

I drove an R/T AWD (the really cool mineral gray BTW) at the local dealership today, and I really liked the car except.....

It really felt like I was riding on top of the car; more so than I really thought it would with the high belt line. Someone on dodgeforums suggested I might not have had the seat all the way adjusted, but I thought I did. I was just really hoping for a more down in car kind of feeling, especially since I'm 5'9".

Honestly, I really felt like I was driving a minivan when driving this one. I was a little disappointed. I have an RSX, so I was expecting a somewhat higher seating position, but this was more than I expected.

Any of you have this kind of reaction? I need a bigger car because we'll have a baby to deal with before too long. Maybe I'm just not used to how a larger car feels.

Just wanted to get everyone's reaction.

Also, those of you living in Ohio or Michigan, how is the RWD in the winter? Is it drivable? I'm game for snow tires if need be, but the extra $$ for AWD seems a bit much for me.

By the way, nice forum. :)

Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mike, if you felt like you were too high in the seat then chances are you were. I'm 6'2" and I fit just fine in the car. The seat can go lower thus giving you more headroom. However, the lwoer you are in the car the more blind spots there are. That is the only real downfall about this car.

Just keep adjusting the seat until you find that sweet spot. :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's got to be the seat adjustment. I'm 6'8" and I fit fine. Although when I was testing the Magnum, the ones I drove with the sun roof felt like the roof was touching my hair. There's probably a 3" lower headliner with the sunroof option. Overall, you will love the car as we all do!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very encouraging words guys. I'm going to head back to the dealer today, and take another look.

My wife hates the look of the Magnum, but I think that's just because it's a masculine design. She's already told me that I can buy one if I want, so I just need to make sure I like it.

I'm also considering a couple of sedans like the TL. The Magnum is pretty different than the others, obviously, so I just want to ensure it's what I'm looking for.

Anyone with winter weather experience?

Thanks guys!

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VegasLightz said:
It's got to be the seat adjustment. I'm 6'8" and I fit fine. Although when I was testing the Magnum, the ones I drove with the sun roof felt like the roof was touching my hair. There's probably a 3" lower headliner with the sunroof option. Overall, you will love the car as we all do!

6'8"! Wow! :cool:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yep, 6'8" and the Magnum is a very comfortable ride. My wife bought the Magnum after I went to look at it the day before, she absolutely loves the car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
get the magnum or another cargo auto. The TL etc. will nothaved the room you need. You may not notice it at first but once you have a car with decent storage you'll never go back. Kids require about 5X the amount of luggage/storage/playarea than you think they do!

·
Registered
367 Posts
To get the seat down to its lowest position takes a little doing. You have to push straight down, I try to push on both sides of the seat button at the same time.

It is a lttle tricky but you can do it

·
Registered
35 Posts
MikeK2 said:
Also, those of you living in Ohio or Michigan, how is the RWD in the winter? Is it drivable? I'm game for snow tires if need be, but the extra $$ for AWD seems a bit much for me.
I suggest you search for messages on snow for discussion of RWD in the snow and how well the tires work. There is variation in what people are willing to put up with in the winter.

Personally, I think the AWD is inexpensive for what you get. If you are not familiar with AWD, I can tell you that the advantages under any slippery conditions, even on wet roads, is huge. AWD even helps turning.

From what I read last winter on Magnum forums, most RWD owners report that Magnum does well in the snow. I think the RWD Magnum may do almost as well in the snow as FWD cars.

The stock continetals are not very good in the snow (including braking distance) and a lot of improvement is obtained with real snow tires.

So the personal opinion/need comes in with what you are willing to put up with in the winter. Personally, I'm fed-up with how FWD or RWD cars of whatever brand crawl along in the snow.

In Wisconsin, there are a lot of days during the year where the roads are slippery from rain or snow. On each of those days, the performance advantage of AWD lets me blast ahead of traffic.

Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I've had a busy few days at work, so I haven't had time to return to the dealership yet, but I apprecaite the continued discussion.

flhthemi, I think you hit upon what I must have done during my drive. I'm betting that I just didn't operate the buttons correctly. I'll be sure to look at that when I make it back to the dealer.

Mike

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had a difficult time with the switch the first few times but once you get the hang of working the it you'll find the seat damn near gets even with the floor. (it just feels that way)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its the best vehicle I have ever owned, and one of the most comfortable seats. I had a Yukon Denali previously and thought that seat was the cat's meow, but this seat is much better.

Also I don't know if you can compare it to a minivan at all. They gave me a Town & Country to drive while I waited for my 06 AWD RT to be built and I think the vehicles are night and day in comparison from a ride standpoint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.