DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 weeks ago, I paid a shade-tree mechanic to install new ball joints upper and lower, both sides. A week later, I paid him to replace the center link. Truck felt great for a month, then last week the front end started squeaking and groaning very loudly while turning, and shaking my teeth at 70mph + highway speeds via the steering wheel.
After much looking and wheel turning, I finally found that a lower ball joint and one of the ends on the center link were looking a bit sloppy and were the cause of the noise.
Since I'm sure these parts are supposed to be seated, all I could do was tighten the nuts another 1/4 turn and re-pin. That has stopped the noise and the truck rides great again.
My question is, is there a certain amount of torque applied to seat these parts? The Haynes manual I have does not list torque specs. for the 2WD.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SEAL from the DodgeForum replied to my question. Figured I'd post his answer here for those who have viewed my thread. Hope you don't mind SEAL.

Upper ball joint torque is 115-125 ft lbs. Lower ball joint torque is 135 ft lbs for the 11/16-16 nuts and 175 for the 3/4-16 nuts. Center link to idler arm and pitman arm are 65 ft lbs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.