DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't how many of you guys use Sea Foam, but when you decide that you really want to clean the carbon buildup out of your engines, how do you guys do it?

The reason I ask this is because my 318 will begin to ping at around 2700 to 3000 RPM under 1/2 - 3/4 throttle. I have used many fuel additives to cure the problem but then I got a hunch that it is going to take a good while to clean carbon buildup with fuel additives including Sea Foam. So I decided to try pouring it through the throttle body. And it did work much better since I have switched back to 87 octane instead of 89. No pinging at all under normal driving with RPMs ranging from 1100 to 2200 (1100 is getting up off the start) and 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. However, I noticed pinging as I was driving onto the highway under 1/2 - 3/4 throttle as it got into the 2700 - 3000 RPM range.

I went by what the Sea Foam directions said and I don't think there is enough information. Just to sum it up, with warm engine running, it says to slowly pour 1/3 pint of Sea Foam through throttle body. Shut engine off. Restart after 5 minutes. (Makes sense)

And that's it. It doesn't say to let it idle, rev it up, go drive it around or anything other than the fumes will be extreme for a short time. The extreme fumes is white smoke. It reminded me of Joe Dirt in that Charger Daytona with the white smoke coming out the tail pipes LOL. But anyway, I decided to drive it off. While driving, I gave it about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle and MAJOR PINGING occured. I didn't think much of it since it was pure Sea Foam I was burning off. But I thought it would harm the engine if I kept doing that. Also, when the MAJOR PINGING occurs, that's when the white smoke blows out. I could also see some blue smoke in the mix and I thought that should be the carbon being burnt off. The way I have been burning it off is getting on a non-busy highway out in the middle of nowhere and turning the overdrive off. Then I accelerate with about 1/2 throttle up to 65 MPH and running about 2500 RPM for about a 1/2 mile until I don't see the smoke anymore. Do any of you guys agree with my method? Is the MAJOR PINGING bad? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I've used that stuff before, but when i got finished i was literally shaking due to the fact that i just poured liquid into my motor and listen to the thing try and stall. I was scared for my baby! =/

Anyways, i used it after a plenum gasket replace. I never had pinging problems so i can't help ya in that department. It should help if you do it right. i have heard Mopar makes a combustion chamber cleaner too that might be pretty good.

·
That's why I like Dodges!
165 Posts
You need to backup and think more about why your truck is pinging. The seafoam is just going to clean the wound, you need to figure out why she's bleeding. Have you been burning oil? The pinging and the carbon build up sound to me like you need to replace your plenum gasket. Look down inside your throttle body with a flashlight and see if you see any oil deposits in there. Since you have already poured the seafoam in there, it should have cleaned up a lot of it, so go drive it around til she pings, then take a look. If you have any oil in there, then you know that that is your problem and you should start there. Keep us posted, good luck!

-David

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Sea Foam has been around for quite a long time is not 'state of the art' for cleaning out carbon deposits.

Chrysler's 'Combustion Chamber Cleaner' is good water/solvent foam and is reasonably priced at about $6 per spray can.

Yamaha has a good product called 'Ring Free' at $9 per bottle that is highly effective.

Chevron Techron is about 25 years old, but is still a better product than Sea Foam.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Since you have already poured the seafoam in there, it should have cleaned up a lot of it, so go drive it around til she pings, then take a look. If you have any oil in there, then you know that that is your problem and you should start there.
I will certainly do that! I've heard of the plenum gasket and I'm not sure where it's at. Is it somewhere close to the throttle body? Thanks!

I've never heard of Mopar's Combustion Chamber cleaner. Where can it be found? I've been in Autozone and Advance Auto Parts more than a dozen times a piece and I don't think I have stumbled upon this type of cleaner.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Funny thing is....I did the seafoam thing today and was too in question about idle or drive around. I had it idling for about 10 minutes probably and then decided maybe it would be good to drive it around just a little. Like you said it pinged like no other, so i decided to take it back to the farm and let it sit for 10 min. Then i started it back up and let it clean out, after that i changed the oil and filter and things were fine. Throttle response i thought was maybe a little better after it was all done.

·
Registered
168 Posts
if its anything like a fuel inj cleaning like we do at my work your supposed to let it sit and idle until all of the white smoke is gone and it starts to idle normal

·
Registered
191 Posts
Read a thread from a dealer mechanic. You should all so pour into vacum hose from the brake booster while the engine is running. The dealer uses intake cleaner, 3 cans.
Spray 1 1/2 cans into TB while engine is running, reinstall aircleaner assy.,spray 1 1/2 cans into vacum hose for brake booster. Must keep engine running, BUT DO NOT RED LINE ENGINE!!!!!! He said nothing about driving to finish burn off. If your driving your truck to finish burn off and it's pinging that loud. NOT GOOD. From what I know pinging is that loudly whikle your driving can cause severe damage. Burnt valves, melted piston top. I my self had just done this with spray cleaner, worked great. Engine is more responsive now and It never pinged once after cleaning. dealer charges over a hundred bucks to do this, cost me $8

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I when see all the smoke from either Sea Foam or Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner - I wonder about plug fouling, O2 sensor fouling, catalytic converter stoppage, etc.

Using three bottle of fuel injector cleaner in three tanks of gasoline one right after the other usually cleans up the pinging as well as the decarbonizing - and you get the added benefit of cleaning fuel injectors pintles and getting tar off the backs of intake valves - all while doing it in a much gentler way.

I also suspect the fuel injector cleaners make the fuel pump last longer and keeps the fuel tank gauge sender working.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I changed my plugs in the summer and I noticed there was some oil on the plugs closest to the cab. I was concerned about it but wasn't sure what the problem was. Maybe it is the plenum gasket. But again I'm not sure. Could this be a problem?

I'm doing what Sugarhead said to do because in the past, I have taken my air filter housing apart and took the filter out. I examined the filter and noticed a brown spot on one side of the filter. The crankcase breather filter was needing replaced really bad so I replaced it 3 months ago. When I say "bad", I mean that the filter was allowing the smoke through. But since I replaced it, the blue smoke doesn't blow out anymore. Could the blue smoke have anything to do with it that could be a possible leading problem?

I also think I noticed a hint of burnt oil smell in the exhaust fumes a while back. I can definitely smell a hint of burnt oil in the exhaust fumes when it's started on a cold morning. When it's warmed up, I can't smell any oil. But just to make sure, I'll check tomorrow and let you guys know.

After reading some of the replies, it does seem to make more sense to let the engine idle because the Sea Foam has that much longer to soak and work its magic.

I'm also curious about what happens when you hear a ping other than pre-ignition. Is an arc made between the plug and the piston when the plug is energized after pre-ignition? That is something I'm wondering about because ARCDAVE said that (frequent) loud pinging can cause a melted piston top. From my experience, I was trying to measure the voltage across my truck's battery. Well, before that, I was measuring current in one place and forgot to switch the test leads back on the multimeter. As I was trying to measure the voltage, no reading came up. I kept moving the leads around on the battery terminals until finally, they made a (short) connection. There was a little arc that sucked the pointed leads down a few hundredths of an inch. Luckily, I got the test leads pulled off the battery because they had a pretty good hold on the terminals. But this leads me to my main point, I noticed a small divot where the leads sunk down. Does/can frequent pinging do stuff like that to the top of a piston after a while?
Please don't reply to me about the battery incident. I was only using that as an example to follow up my question. I'm usually on top of things better than that anyway. But that was one of my "accidental" days to get an adrenaline rush by something like that when I don't catch myself off-guard LOL.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The brown spot on one side of the air filter is normal, i've seen it before. Can anyone help him on his other questions?

·
Registered
191 Posts
pre ignition, detonation, pinging. are not good sounds. If you let it go for to long things things melt. A proper running engine has controlled burning in the cumbustion camber. You want the piston to be pushed down, not punched at.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. I did the exhaust fumes check when the engine was warm. I forgot to check it when it was first started up. The fumes smell normal to me. There was no hint of burning oil smell. Pretty much just a lean vapor. They didn't smell rich or anything. Of course, they probably richen up as I accelerate but lean fumes at idle tell me that it's running normal.

I'll still check the fumes when the engine is freshly started up in the morning. I thought of checking them right when it is started up and then wait about a minute or two and check the fumes.

As a quick note, in case you are wondering, my exhaust doesn't smoke when it is started up.

Thanks for all the replies. Chump's link to the document on pinging was very helpful.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I checked the fumes when started cold. They were richer than the warm idle but no still no hint of burnt oil smell.

So from now on, I'm going to drive the truck around without using any fuel additives. Again, I'm going to do what Sugarhead said to do and I'll post a report in a month.

Everybody drive safely!!

·
Did I do that?!?
153 Posts
Ive done the Seafoam on 200k+ Chevy engines. Both EFI and TBI. I ran 1/3 through vacuumn lines in the the TB and poured 1/3 straight in until she died. Let it sit @10 min. Idled until it stopped smoking ( about 15 min). In both cases I finished the can in the tank and noticed all around better performance. I did immediately replace the plugs and oil too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm back! Now for the report:

I didn't actually get to look down in the TB because about 2 weeks ago, I decided to check the fluid levels. I pulled the engine oil dipstick out and discovered that the oil was a very creamy light brown color (Some green here and there). I told my dad and brother about it and they suspected it was water getting in the oil. This led them to believe it was a broken head gasket.

As a matter of fact, I was burning a little bit of oil because I remember now that I had to add a quart before an oil change at one or two times.

We decided to have the truck taken to a local NAPA shop. They found that it was the intake (probably the plenum). They test drove it and heard a vacuum leak. This is how they found the intake was leaking. So then they took it apart and replaced the intake. They took it out and drove it and it was still leaking. Luckily, the new intake was cracked and they replaced it for free. Once they got the next new intake in and everything put back together, they took it out and heard no leaks! Everything running right.
I got my truck back and wanted to see if it pinged like before. I put it down about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle. Up at about 35 mph @ 2500 rpm, there was very little ping! I heard very minor knocks. But it didn't ping like it did before. I'm quite satisfied. I think with a few more fuel additives, it should clean up quite a bit now. It probably needs it anyway to clean up any oil deposits.

You guys will like this though, I had to drive my dad's 4.8L '99 Chevy Silverado back and forth to college for nearly one week! I was lucky to drive that truck because he just bought it in November I think. If he didn't have that truck, I would have had to drive his '92 Chevy W/T which is on its last leg (it needs a MAJOR tune up) and isn't very pleasing to the eye either.

What did I think of the Silverado? There was nothing wrong with driving it for nearly a week. I noticed that it seemed to drink the gas more than mine for some odd reason (Could be just me). I was ready to get my Dodge back after 3 days. People in my class were asking where my truck was. And that's the thing about my truck, everybody knows who drives it because the rollbars, wheels, and Ram emblem in the rear window (along with "Dodge Ram" in the front window) make my truck stand out. I was also getting itchy of how the Chevy rode and how low it sat to the ground compared to mine. I like high riders because I can see above mostly everything people in cars can't. I came home at 10 p.m. Thursday night. Apparently, my dad drove my truck home and I didn't know about it. I saw my truck sitting in the drive way and I was so glad to see it! I couldn't wait to drive it the next morning with it being fixed. I was able to be recognized again!!!

Like I said a month ago, thanks for all the helpful replies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.