DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the purchase of 4 winter rims with winter tires.

I have the Sport with the 20" tires. My mechanic suggested I go with an 18" rim for the winter tires. This will save a good amount of money. Is there anything I need to consider or know about before swapping 20" wheels for 18"? Will this mess something up on the truck computer?

·
Registered
716 Posts
The minimum wheel size you can run on these trucks is a 17" regardless of which size came stock. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that you probably want to keep the overall diameter of the tire somewhat similar unless you want to deal with your speedometer being off. Yours probably came with a 275/60/20 tire which is almost 33" tall, so you would probably want to look at tires in the range of a 285/70/17 or a 285/65/18 to be close (both about 32.5").

·
you might be wrong
480 Posts
If i was going down sizes for the winter, I would go with the size the TRX uses. 275-70-17. Now, that being said, the A/T tires for the 20's are cheaper than the 17's I found...

The 275-70-17 is only slightly smaller than the 275-60-20. 32.2 inches tall vs. 33, respectively. So you are talking ~4 revolutions per mile more with the smaller tire. This is about 310ft extra per mile, thus every 210ish miles you will add an extra mile onto your odometer that you didn’t actually drive. IF you have the tires on for 4 months, and drive the average 1k miles a month, you are talking about adding maybe 20 miles onto your truck you didn’t drive….

Not to mention the speedometer will be slightly off, but maybe not enough to notice..

·
Registered
486 Posts
You want to go with a narrower tire if possible in the snow. Wider tires tend to float thus have a lot less traction.

Ive ran my 315s in the snow, ive ran 265s and had 235s on my f250. 235s were by far the best!

I think they were 235/80-16s

That being said, most tires for a 17inch rim only come as narrow as 265s. That would be your best bet for tire size esspically if you get a lot of slushy kind of snow. Ice and hard packed the wider tire will be alittle better.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You want to go with a narrower tire if possible in the snow. Wider tires tend to float thus have a lot less traction.

Ive ran my 315s in the snow, ive ran 265s and had 235s on my f250. 235s were by far the best!

I think they were 235/80-16s

That being said, most tires for a 17inch rim only come as narrow as 265s. That would be your best bet for tire size esspically if you get a lot of slushy kind of snow. Ice and hard packed the wider tire will be alittle better.
What he said exactly! If you're only dropping rim size to decrease the cost, get 17s.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just put on 18" xd monsters with 265 70 18 blizzaks with eBay TPMS sensors. They are .4" smaller than the 20's and look and work awesome with no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.