DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Ram Sport with a 38" tires. Im basically wanting to know what size gearing I would need for those tires. What would I need to buy? Im pretty clueless in this field so any information would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would go with 4.56's. There are a few posts in this section that have a real good break down.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Do you have a 1500 or a 2500? 1500 currently the lowest you can go is 4:56. Thats not enough gear for 38's. If you have a 2500 you can go alot deeper than that. Id run 5:13's or 5:38's for 38" tires

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 1500. I guess 4.56's are going to have to due unless something comes available soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
According to the chart I use 4.56's with 38's will put you approx 2,625 [email protected] with overdrive on rpm will be 15% to 30% lower.When I was getting gears and tires I went with 35's due to gear selection choices.Thought this might throw some more insight for you .

·
Registered
286 Posts
go with 4:56...5:13 would be convient if you saw pavement

·
Registered
286 Posts
*never saw pavement

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
I disagree on the 5:!3's if you never saw pavement. I drove with 5:13's with wore out 37's. Wasnt bad at all at cruising at 70 MPH. Remember our trucks have a .69 OD Thats a 31% RPM reduction in 4th gear

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
I have a 03 Ram 1500 and I'm going with the 4.56 gears and Auburn Gear limited slip. The company I'm getting them from said I should get them next week (user crossing fingers) sometime. The tire size that I have is 32.25 " and would go with the 4.88 gears, but they won't be out until late 2005 (Randys RingandPinion). Now with your tire size I would definitely might would wait until the 4.88 comes out. That is a tall tire compared to mine like 6 inches bigger. In a previous post I saw 5.13 gears. I have not seen that available for th 9.25 rear ends and I've looked at many sites 4.88 (coming soon) being the lowest. If anyone wish to correct me on this I would like to know, because I would like to go lower than the 4.56s. With that tire size you need to go low as you can so you will get the performance back. Also with the gear change I would get the Master install kit I think I would rather do that and might have some stuff left over rather than having the mechanic calling around trying to find parts that he will need.Good luck!

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
You're correct, the deepest gear available for the 9.25 is 4:56

Randy's keeps pushing back the release date fot the 4:88's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.