DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a billet grill insert off ebay. Its the OEM billet inserts that come stock on the Sport models.

Heres a pic of the inserts i bought

My question is this, What do I need to know about removing the honeycomb inserts and installing these. This will not come with any mounting hardware...so will I need to purchase any additional items from anywhere?

Inform me of any info i should need for the install. Thanks guys.

·
2013 Laramie Power Wagon
2,024 Posts
I believe the ones from Mopar came with plastic mounting hardware to use. You might be able to use the ones that you removed from the old honeycomb grill if you becareful. But if I remember correctly you need to use a punch or small pointy screwdriver to push out the plastic center of the mounting hardware.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohh, well i bought this grill off ebay used, so it didnt come with any hardware. It looks like the clips used with the honeycomb grill wont come out without breaking

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
AtlanticRam said:
Ohh, well i bought this grill off ebay used, so it didnt come with any hardware. It looks like the clips used with the honeycomb grill wont come out without breaking
Just remove the honey grille, break the clips if you need too. Just either go to a Dodge dealer or Home Depot/Lowes and get some push rivets. I got a bag at the dealer for like $2.10. I think it took 2 bags.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohh ok, so just tap out the center of the rubber clips in the honeycomb grill and re-use them.....that seems easy enough. As soon as i get the new inserts in from the boys in brown....ill install and post some pics

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
AtlanticRam said:
Ohh ok, so just tap out the center of the rubber clips in the honeycomb grill and re-use them.....that seems easy enough. As soon as i get the new inserts in from the boys in brown....ill install and post some pics
yep make the job easy onyourself remove the shell from th e truck once you uno the nuts wiggle the grill a little and it will come right off. then make sure you lait it ona soft towel or something that will keep the outside face of the shell from scratcing. I used a awl and a hammer to punch out the center pins. mindy you I filed off the point of the awl seeing I had 3 of them LOL so I didnt damage the pins. This is also why I told you to use a small nail set. be careful not to loose the pins as you tap them out they kinda get a mind of there own LOL . when you reinstall them place the lager rivit looking pieces back in place then put the pins back in and tap down to the position they were in from the factory when done reinstall grill on your truck. be sure not to over tighten the nuts when putting it back on dont want you to crack your grill now do we!
good luck its real easy to do

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
You can use a finishing nail also

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot guys...thats probably the way ill do it when i get the inserts in.

By the way, you mentioned taking the entire shell off.I havent looked that close...what holds the shell in place, just nuts/bolts or more plastic clips?

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
AtlanticRam said:
Thanks a lot guys...thats probably the way ill do it when i get the inserts in.

By the way, you mentioned taking the entire shell off.I havent looked that close...what holds the shell in place, just nuts/bolts or more plastic clips?
I foget how many but you can see them all just look for them they are nuts. I want to say there are 9 but dont quote me on that . when you remove the shell as I stated before grab it as high as you can and wiggle it a little it should come right off. they used something sticky to hold it along the top edge but it comes right away from it. I used my cordless drill to remove the nuts and reinstall them. Note on the reinstall I turned the clutch all but all the way down on the drill so I didnt strip or damage anything.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The hood latch has to come off too. And like dale3fan3 says, when you go to pull the grill shell away, use some force - you'll swear you forgot to remove a bolt, that's how sticky the adhesive is.

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
05_hemi said:
The hood latch has to come off too. And like dale3fan3 says, when you go to pull the grill shell away, use some force - you'll swear you forgot to remove a bolt, that's how sticky the adhesive is.
I didnt have to remove anything but the shell I dont know why you had to on the lattch also I didnt have to pull hard at all to break the shell loose remember you are dealing with plastic

·
Registered
562 Posts
dale3fan3 said:
I didnt have to remove anything but the shell I dont know why you had to on the lattch also I didnt have to pull hard at all to break the shell loose remember you are dealing with plastic
In order to remove the shell from the hood, two bolts holding the latch rod mechanism to the underside of the hood had to be removed, and the rod assembly had to be fed out of the shell bracket in order to allow the grills to come off and the new ones to be attached (without the rod assebly flipping around loosely with the risk of scratching the shell).

As for pulling the shell away from the hood, it took a significant amount of force to break the adhesive holding the shell to the leading edge of the hood. You mention that it is plastic - trust me, for that reason, I thought I was going to break something, it was stuck that bad.

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
05_hemi said:
In order to remove the shell from the hood, two bolts holding the latch rod mechanism to the underside of the hood had to be removed, and the rod assembly had to be fed out of the shell bracket in order to allow the grills to come off and the new ones to be attached (without the rod assebly flipping around loosely with the risk of scratching the shell).

As for pulling the shell away from the hood, it took a significant amount of force to break the adhesive holding the shell to the leading edge of the hood. You mention that it is plastic - trust me, for that reason, I thought I was going to break something, it was stuck that bad.
maybe they did someting different on the 05s then bud Im not doubtin you but I didnt remove anything but the shell and my grill surround popped off with just a little wiggle. oh well I guess he has 2 examples of what might be needed

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Same here, I removed my grill shell on my '02 to put in the Mopar Chrome grill and also on my '04. Plus I recently swapped my chrome grill out for a painted sport grill. Its 12 bolts,10mm if I recall. Then you just pull the shell off the grill "frame". You can still close the hood and have it latch actually, so if you broke yours you could technically drive around with no grill. Although I would not recommend this at all. :D

KB

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does the grill HAVE to be removed to install the inserts?

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
You don't have to, but it would make life 10 times easier for you. Its really simple, just 12, 10mm bolts and a ratchet. Then yank it off, pop out the plastic rivets, slap on new grill install rivets. Bolt back on and your done, much easier than trying to do it on the truck

KB

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.