DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an 05 Quad Cab 5 speed with the 5.7 Hemi and a 3.92 rear with the factory 20's.

Tonight I looked at an 06 Mega Cab 5 speed with the 5.7 Hemi and a 3.73 rear with the factory 17's (factory BFG's too).

How would the MPG compare between the two trucks? I currently average 15.5-16 on my 05. Will I go way down hill or will it be about the same?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
mega cab sucks for mileage. too heavy of a truck for a hemi to be pulling. The Mega cab 1500 is a 2500 with less leafs in the back and a sissy motor in it.

·
Rooster1828
252 Posts
Sport98 said:
The HEMI is plenty powerful for the MegaCab....
I agree!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've got a Hemi MC and hmmm.. i wish diesels were avialable here... but i guess it works..

11mpg city, that hurts my pocket... but for real... last weekend i was hauling/towing 5 big ass atv's (2 in the bed, 3 in a car trailor) and the shit was still owning my friends silverado (98 vortec thing) which was just hauling 1 atv..

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
Sport98 said:
The HEMI is plenty powerful for the MegaCab....

I Disagree, I have a hemi 2500

it's adequate, but not "plenty powerful"

·
PROJECT SRT-345
1,480 Posts
Chauncy said:
I Disagree, I have a hemi 2500

it's adequate, but not "plenty powerful"
Really? I drove a 2500 4x4 with the HEMI in it and it seemed to run great to me... Of course it was only a test drive for about 30 minutes, but from what I could tell it seemed fine.

Jason

·
Rooster1828
252 Posts
HemiMagnum said:
mega cab sucks for mileage. too heavy of a truck for a hemi to be pulling. The Mega cab 1500 is a 2500 with less leafs in the back and a sissy motor in it.
:VHOT: If you are at all concerned with mileage you should not even remotely consider a Mega Cab. The Mega Cabs do suck for mileage but that may have something to do with them being 6,000 pounds. Maybe I have really low expectations for an engine but I think the HEMI in my truck performs very well for a 6,000 pound truck. Sure, a Cummins would be great but I cannot justify $5,555 when I do not tow on a regular basis. And do you know what it costs to work on a Cummins when it is out of warranty?

The HEMI suits me fine and I don't think it is by any means a "sissy" engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hemi is fine. Can always supercharge it

otherwise I didnt tow enough to justify 6K (CTD) and another 1.2K for auto tranny. it would just be bragging rights for me - maybe on next one =)

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Rooster1828 said:
And do you know what it costs to work on a Cummins when it is out of warranty?
2 gallons of oil every 7500 miles. Thats all the work required. Cummins are rated to go 250,000 miles before you have to do anything. Not like 100,000 miles comes, goes out of warranty and the engine goes to crap. How expensive is it to change 16 spark plugs every 30,000 miles, service the tranny every 30,000 miles, fill it up with gas getting crappy mileage, and fix all the crap wrong with the Hemi motor at 175,000 when i just change my oil every 7500 miles and do tranny fluid every 50,000?

When the cummins goes out of warranty it is just finishing its breakin period and will run very easily up to 1,000,000 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.