DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on installing my pyrometer tomorrow. Where is the best location for the sender pre turbo. I have heard not to place it in the center of the manafolt.
Can someone direct me to a thread covering this as I can not locate one

Thank You

·
Registered
11 Posts
The best location is just prior to the flange on the exhaust manifold where the turbo bolts on.

You cannot install it dead center as the manifold has a divider wall there. Generally speaking, either side is OK. About 1" to 2" from the flange.

If you're into splitting hairs with an axe, some may suggest using one side over the other due to the fact some cylinders run hotter than the others (I can't remember which, but I think it's cyl. no. 1 as it has a boss in the casting of the intake plenum that is associated with an accessory mount. Said boss interferes with the intake charge flow as compared to the others).

But again, either side will work just fine. ;)

This forum does not allow me to post a URL to an example of instruction, sorry. Check your PM and add the normal prefix found with any internet address.

However, I've uploaded images that should prove helpful, once forum admin approves them, I'll post them here. ;)

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Mine's right at the number 4 cylinder. The further back you go the better as the rear cylinders seem to run a bit hotter than the front. Mine works just fine where it is....

·
Registered
11 Posts
It turns out I can't post images and such till I have at least five posts. . . .. . . so there. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here we go . . . . . .

(courtasy of another site) ;)

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the good information, The install went fine and lacated as per diagram. I was surprised to see how fast the temp changes.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I put my pyrometer probe 2" after turbo. I think you just have to add like 300 degrees F to figure out what the pre-turbo temp is. It might be less than that on a newer diesel engine, but to play it safe I never let my temp go past 1000 degrees F. I might eventually put another pyrometer in the manifold though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.