DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the PW ride compare to a 1500? I'm assuming they are close because the PW has a softer suspension than a 3/4 ton. I drive an '05 Quad cab 1500 for work and really like the way it drives, rides and handles. When I can afford to buy my next truck, I would like to buy a used PW. But that most likely means I will need to shop for it on the net and drive somewhere to pick it up. I do not want to keep dreaming for something that does not ride like a dream.

· Registered
61 Posts
My PW actually drives very nice! Now, I am sure you understand that it has solid front/rear axles. So, its not going to ride as nice as a 1500 (my buddy owns one), but the ride quality is not that far off! The softer leaf springs help out too. Many of my friends compliment me on how nice it rides to be so off-road worthy. Trust me, get the PW....you wont regret it!

· Code Red
2,694 Posts
I had an '05 1500 with a 4" Rancho Lift and 33" BFG M/Ts right before I bought my PW. I honestly didn't see much ride quality difference aside from more grunt and power off the line due to the 4.56 gears. Not a total apples to apples though because it had an aftermarket lift and suspension.

· Registered
239 Posts
Its been a while since we owned our 02 1500. But I don't remember it riding any better than our PW. If anything, I'd say it was rougher. But that's probably because it had the front T-bars cranked for about a 2.2" gain and a rear add-a-leaf. We were also running 35" ProComp MTs on it.

I think you'll like the PW, but it does not get very good mileage!

Jim

· Registered
102 Posts
I guess that I'll be honest I love my Power Wagon, but there is no comparison to the 1500. My dad has a 2005 QC/SB 1500 and I have a 2005 QC/SB Power Wagon. His is ALOT smoother. They are both silver too his has 55K miles and mine has 45K miles so that should be about as close to apples and apples as you could get.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone's replies. I know it's not an apples to apples thing, but I was just wondering how close it is. I will have to travel somewhere to get a PW and I would be disappointed if the Power Wagon rode like a hay wagon when I got there. I'm not ready to buy yet, unless a big sack of money falls from the sky and hits me. Until then I will consider a PW as my next truck.

· 2013 Laramie Power Wagon
2,028 Posts
IMO, I'm going to have to say it definately rides like a 3/4 should ride. And it ain't smooth. Unless you load the bed up. Just my opinion tho.

· Registered
102 Posts
MightyDodge said:
Thanks for everyone's replies. I know it's not an apples to apples thing, but I was just wondering how close it is. I will have to travel somewhere to get a PW and I would be disappointed if the Power Wagon rode like a hay wagon when I got there. I'm not ready to buy yet, unless a big sack of money falls from the sky and hits me. Until then I will consider a PW as my next truck.
You might want to think 1500 is you are worried about the ride. Or buy a chevy. Not to flame anyone or start anything, but my father-in-law has a 2007 3/4ton chevy and it is VERY close in ride quality to the 1500. You'll be disappointed if you buy a PW and expect a smooth 1/2ton ride. IMHO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.